System powers off with CPU in

smiffer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Parts: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, Asus P5K-V mobo and Asus P5N-E mobo

I'm building two systems and started on the first this morning. I powered the system on for the first time after connecting everything and the fans (cpu & case) would spin for a second then no power, like I hit the pwoer button then unplugged the power cord. So I first tried a different PSU, same problem. So I went back to the original PSU, unplugged all HD's and fans from the motherboard, same problem. I removed both sticks of RAM, same problem. I removed the board from the case and set it on the static wrap thinking there might be a short, same problem. I then removed the CPU and plugged the CPU fan in, hit the power button and power stayed on. What the heck. I inserted the CPU again and hit the power switch, same prolem, CPU fan would spin for a second then nothing. Thinking the CPU may be bad I opened the other CPU and inserted it but unfortunately same power loss prolem. OK so now I'm thinking it's the motherboard. So I open the other motherboard and put the original CPU in it and have the same problem. This makes no sense.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
It might not be your internal hardware. Did you try using a different power cable and plugging it into a different socket?