Newegg 50/50 chance to get a Q6600 with G0 stepping

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
So I got my Q6600 today and found out its a B3. No problem, right? Wrong. I thought a simple RMA to Newegg to exchange my B3 for a G0 would be easy. Turns out, they can NOT guarntee that I get a Q6600 with G0 stepping. At least this is what Newegg's customer service told me.

So unless u like to gamble, dont count on Newegg for your Q6600 with G0 stepping.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Appreciate the information. I just ordered $1,700.00 in new computer parts from them. I didn't order the Q6600 for that very reason. I read a review that said they received the G0 and I got hopeful, only to see a review the next day that the B3s are still being shipped. You would think they would clear old stock first. Maybe they are playing the mix them up game to sell the old CPUs.

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Newegg is seeming more and more sneaky and underhanded to me lately. They refuse to tell you what you're buying. If the specification you're looking for isn't on the product page, forget it.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

......I really don't know why you're fussing about that..

Newegg is selling Q6600, not a specific stepping. If they let you in, they must have let everyone in too. Before you know it, every single Q6600 buyer will be asking for G0 stepping, and Newegg will have large quantities of B3 Q6600 that no one wants to buy.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Erm.. because the GO stepping is a newer model?? Thats something to fuss about. Especially when they dont tell you want you're going to get..

They could sell the B3 one for like $20 less then the GO stepping one.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Here's the thing: Newegg isn't going to cater to you and help you void your warranty by overclocking. Steppings on processors have never been listed on Newegg, and they're not going to start now that there is a "special" one. In fact, almost no etailers list the steppings for CPU's.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006

Thats not sneaky or underhanded. They're showing you all the specs that they will guarantee. Why is it their fault that you expect something they aren't saying you can expect?

V lyx

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

The reason why newegg won't tell you is because they can't. They keep all of there old and new q6600 in the same spot in there factory since the only change to it was the stepping. I don't think any ill intent was meant from newegg.

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

You just proved my point yourself.

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

That wouldn't be the situation at all if I ever decided to even buy a Q6600; some people hardcore game and like to use air cooling. Also, just for your information, businesses tell customers what it is they're buying or they don't make the sale. Providing incorrect photos, inaccurate and incomplete information like newegg does will always keep it sub-#2 on my list; that's just like a retail store replacing the contents of a 8800 GTX package with a 8800 GS product. It'd be considered illegal for sure, if they weren't an online retailer.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006

?!

If I offer you an apple and you accept, you can't get pissed at me for giving you a red one when you were crossing your fingers for a green one. Sure you can wish I gave you the option, but I certainly didn't do anything underhanded or sneaky.

They aren't showing one thing and selling another, they're giving you exactly what you ordered. The problem is people aren't getting what they wish they ordered.

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

Thank you for proving my point again.

You go open an apple shop and tell the customer that they can't choose the type of apple they buy.

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I doubt the odds are even 50/50 at this point. Its common practice to sell the oldest stock first. I can't believe they would mix the stock or sell the latest shipment first. Every warehouse I have ever seen tries to minimize shelf life of the stock they have.

No way to tell how many of the B3's they have left. From what I have seen in other warehouses I would guess mid to late August the older stock would be cleared out and the new stuff starts shipping. But thats just a slightly educated guess as I have not and do not work at Newegg, but as I have worked in a few warehouses and have seen how they rotated and refreshed the stock. Every one I was at kept approx 2 to 4 weeks of supply in case the supply lines hit a snag and new shipments were delayed. Quantites of course were different from product to product depending on popularity and estimates of possible demand.

Question (as I can't remember): did Intel announce the price cuts or the shipment if G0 stepping first? If it was the price cuts its possible that Newegg has alot of stock of B3's in anticipation of the demand.

Has anyone recieved the new G0 cpus from Newegg?

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Wow, I find that very odd. That pretty much goes against everything I have ever seen in a warehouse. In my experience if you mixed stock, especially when there are significant differences between the old and new, then that person was in alot of trouble. I've seen people get canned for doing that type of thing. Guess Newegg doesn't hold the same standards. That sucks

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah, standards.. that sums it up pretty well! :lol:

Steppings are simply not promised by Newegg or hardly any other e-tailer. I doubt the 'pick date' on an apple is either. You bought knowing full well you were taking a gamble. If you didn't you were simply mistaken. If you doubt this show us in print where you saw it was guranteed to be a specific stepping.

If your point is that they SHOULD be selectable by stepping you have a reasonable point. I could see this going either way.

I have purchased many a CPU from Newegg, as I'm sure have many here, you take what you get and if it means a few Mhgz. less on your OC then so be it.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Actually, G0 is not a newer model, but simply a newer revision. As said before, if you're not overclocking, having a 10W less processor won't make your computer case cooler.

I don't see people fussing about B2 and L2 stepping, but why B3 and G0? People are really illogical at times.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

That's because they purposefully distribute them evenly, so they won't have to wait for B3 stock to deplete before people start buying Q6600 again. Yes, from the consumer's standpoint, its not very convenient. But Newegg is here to make money, not satisfy your every single need.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

And to think that Newegg established it's reputation through lower than market prices and customer satisfaction :pfff:

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

That's the worst analogy I've ever seen.

Newegg did separate Q6700 from Q6600, thus you can buy a Core 2 Quad with different grading, which is similar to apple grading. But the store is not going to tell you which week the apple came from. They will very likely to mix apples from week1 and week2 together, as long as they are still fresh.

The better analogy is cars. You can buy Chevrolet Malibu and Aveo, but you can't select cars from a certain production cycle. Do you see any car dealer disclosing such information?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

One of the most important concept of business is compromising. You can't satisfy your customer's need and disregard your own, or vice versa. That's why you meet most of those needs, while disregarding some from both parties.

Newegg sells Q6600 at a very affordable price, which satisfy their customer's needs. They also make money by selling at that price point, which satisfy their own needs. If Newegg distinguishes B3 from G0, everyone is going to buy G0. While Newegg may make more money by marking up the price, they simply cannot just disregard the B3 volume.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Than why even Mix them up? the B3 must have been bought for a higher price than the G0 Batch. Clear out the B3 first and than load the G0 stepping rounds. It won't be deceptive to the customer than, they'll know that the ones sold this month are B3 and G0 will come to sell following the sale of their last bit of B3's in a little while. But thinking from sales stand point, Mixing the crap in with the chocolate, the result comes to the buyer, weather they get the crap part or the chocolate. Made it a luck of draw, so will tempt people to buy and take a risk to get B3 or G0. hmmm... So this 50/50 thing makes a little more sense to me now.