Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

xelaseer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hey guys,
I'm about to purchase an 8800 Ultra. On it i'm going to put a Fuzion GFX + Unisink combo. Would I be better off buying a cheaper one and overclocking it or getting a factory overclocked one?

Also with this cooling would I be able to overclock from 612/2160 to xfx 8800ultra xxx speeds of 675/2300? I've read about numerous gpu overclocks gone wrong. What sort of risks are there, what chances are their of me wrecking it and most importantly is it worth the risk?

The card with the lower clock speeds is a Gainwood 8800 ultra for $642.699 AUD and the XFX 8800 Ultra XXX costs $798.721 AUD so I could save a bundle and get the same performance if overclocking is feasable to those speeds with my cooling unit.

Any replies are much appreciated.

Alex

if he wants ultra he can get a GTX and OC it , look @ mine , and also i dont think gtx performance will come down , i read in incrysis.com and crysis-online.com that a 8800GTX with E6600 and 2GB ram can max out Crysis , also i downloaded a short movie that it was some guy in nvidia and he said 8800 series will do fine with crysis ,

http://www.incrysis.com/wiki/index.php/Crysis_System_Requirements

recent PC Gamer UK magazine preview Cevat Yerli said an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 card could run the game at "ultra detail" settings.

[:mousemonkey:2] Which makes all the recommendations for a Q6600 to run the game a bit superfluous don't you think?

If an E6600 can max out the game then an E6750 & an E6850 should also be able to, and both of those would most likely have a better resale value should one wish to upgrade to a penryn class quad which will most likely out perform the Q6600 in every game and software that can take advantage of multiple cores and will be available very soon. (I hope)

xelaseer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hey guys thanks for the replies. The thing is though that ultra is cheaper than any 8800 GTX in aus. The cheapest 8800GTX s $671 AUD. Don't ask me why this isn't even on sale.

Looks like you better get the Ultra then, oh how my heart bleeds for you. :lol:

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Well I disagree if I had the choice id get the Ultra... even if ti is a few bucks more you get higher quality memory chips n stuff, a much better cooler, and lets not forget you can STILL overclock the ultra to higher then what the GTX can reach, especially the memory.

Plus bragging rights :D 8800ultra really is a complete enthusiast GPU lol.

ZeroCool

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007

Wow... where the heck are you getting these prices from I am just building (well planning) a new PC that I will be purchasing within the next week or so (I'm in Sydney, Aus) so I would be very interested and grateful for any advice you can give me... cheapest I have seen a XFX xxx is just over the $980 mark.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Just go for the XFX Ultra XXX edition and OC to as much as you can, and wala you have one of the fastest single GPU systems on the planet.