bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Not sure what forum to post this in as i am having difficulty diagnosing the problem. I was hoping to get a little feedback.
I was on my computer a couple hours ago and went away for about 30 min. I came back and i can't get it to start up. I am not sure if this is a hardrive issue, a motherboard issue, or something completely different but all help would be greatly appreciated.

Simptoms -
-When i turn on the computer the fans kick on but i do not hear the hardrive turn on nor is there any lights blinking indicating that the computer is thinking.
-None of the USB ports have any power.
-The monitor is recieving no signal from the pc.

Things i have tried -
- Plugging in to differnet outlets.
-Changing the power connector to the hardrive from the psu.
-Un-plugging and letting the computer sit.
-There are no disks or flash drives connected to the computer.
-I have unplugged everything un necesary for computer operation (ie speakers, printer, mouse, keyboard).

Basically the computer never boots.

Thanks for your help.

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Alright i have tried two more things and no luck. I tried swamping out my hardrive for an old one i had.. but no luck.
I also took out my cpu and put in an older one that sill works. Once again my computer didn't work. However, when i did this the dvd drive popped on which had not happend in the past.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem? or something else?
I am currently at a loss as to what the problem is and am very frustrated.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Power supply or motherboard and maybe a ram problem. Have you tried resetting Cmos yet? Sometimes it just helps, help me last week. These simptoms sound like a mobo/PSU problem, have you checked you on/off button? Can you get to bios? Maybe the mouse that was eating you PSU cables came out when you left, then ran back when you came back. No joke this happenned to my bro a month ago. Theres lots of mice and rats where my bro live, one left him last year.lol

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I would definitely suspect a dead power supply. It sounds like the PS is still supplying +12v to the motherboard (which explains the fans operating), but nothing else.

darkmage87

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I had my PSU do the same thing, it was a Safe Power 450W (it worked only on a Pentium II computer but not my Pentium 4 or any other I tested in), it looked awesome, paid $45 CAN for it, got a 3 year warranty, when I'll RMA it and get a new one I'm gonna sell it, I just bought a OCZ GameXStream 850W OCZ850GXS SLI ATX for $188.18 CAN :D.

rossgalloway

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Im having a similar problem. this is what i posted on another website. maybe it will help with something.

Computer does post with my RADEON X800xl card in it.

ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon 2800+
1 GIG RAM
RADEON X800xl

About a month ago, the day before I left on a month-long trip to Europe, I turned my computer on, and my monitor wouldn't turn on either (no signal). When I got back from Europe, I tried again and had the same problem. When i turn the computer on, I also have no motherboard beep, no monitor signal, and my usb mouse is dead.

The strange part is that I initially thought it was a problem with my video card, so i borrowed my friend's GeForce card (not sure what card exactly, maybe a 6800) to see if that was the problem. When i put his card in, my computer started up fine. At that point I thought that the problem must be my video card, so i went ahead and bought a new card (a RADEON X1650). The new card didnt post either.

Today i borrowed my roommate's old PCI Geforce fx 5200 card and my computer booted up fine.

I feel like this is now a motherboard or power supply problem(I have a 450W), although I know very little about either type of problem. It just seems so strange how it literally happened overnight. I turned it off before bed one night and it didn't turn on the next morning. GeForce cards seem to work, but Radeon ones dont.

Ive tried resetting my CMOS, swapping in different amounts of RAM, using different monitor cables, all to no avail. The computer refuses to post with my Radeon card in.

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I've got a spare psu so i will test that out. That would be annoying if that was the problem b/c the psu is less than 2 months old and more than powerfull enough to handle my system.
Also,
What do u mean by resetting CMOS? Thanks, and i'll get back to u as to weather or not the psu was the problem.

royalcrown

Distinguished
there is a jumper on most motherboards that clear (reset) your bios setting back to factory when they get messed up, you move the jumper over for a sec, then put it back and try to reboot. You need to find where your is, they are usually near the battery or back uf the board by where the back of the case is, but not always, also nit all new motherboards have this.

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
If you swapped out the power supply, then most likely your motherboard is toast.

Try unplugging absolutely everything and see if it beeps at all, but I suspect it won't.