Desktop icons vanish

johnhirepoint

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
on returning to my computer, which has been left switched on, regardless of whether screensaver is enabled/disabled the desktop icons and task bar have vanished. ctl,Alt & Delete will not bring up the task manager. The only way out is to reboot the machine. Any ideas?

greenfield

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Have you tried right click on desktop - arrange icons and check show desktop icons.

If the above won't work for ya :
try Kelly's Korner page
On that page, scroll down to line 195 and in the right-hand column, click on "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar" to download a small .vbs file.

Once you have it saved to the hard drive, run it according to the instructions at the top of the Kelly's Korner page.

If your antivirus objects, ignore it. The files from Kelly's Korner are safe

Good luck. :hello:

johnhirepoint

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

johnhirepoint

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
yes I have tried the first one, when everything vanishes right clicking does not bring anything up,the wallpaper is all that is shown. the computer is still working because the rest of the network can use it.
I have tried Kelly's Corner as recommended, at first I thought this had worked but then the same happened again.The time for the icons to dissappear varies.
Any other help would be appreciated?

All the best Johnhirepoint

Spazzeroony

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
This is caused by a virusinfecton. The best thing to do is to format your HDD (preferrably a low-level format) and install a fresh copy of Windows. Then get yourself a proper antivirus like ESET NOD32 from www.eset.om.

TRENDING THREADS