Hard Drive Problem? I Need Advice

CiscoJP

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Ok, so yesterday I got home from work, and see that my anti-virus software (AVG Free) had automatically updated some critical updates, and my computer needs to be restarted. So I restart, and get the Welcome screen, and I type in my password. Now the desktop background loads up, but I get an hourglass, no desktop icons, no start button or system tray, nothing. So I power off the computer and reboot it again. This time, I don't get past the Welcome screen when I type in my password. Just ana hourglass, saying my personal settings are loading. 2 more times I do this, and it finally works (I think I hit F10, Windows Recovery when I wanted to really boot in safe mode). The desktop loads, but now my Drive Health (2.1 I believe) program is saying thet my TEC date is 10/11/07! It's the first criteria, raw read rate, I believe, that is showing up in red.

Now my hard drive has not been making any unusal sounds, no clicking or anything, and programs load as fast as ever. I did a System Restore to Saturday (10/6/07) and now Drive Health says all is well, and the computer boots up fine.

Now could that glitch have been caused by AVG updating, and the glitch and then multiple reboots in short period of time? I've only had Drive Health on my PC for 2 weeks now, and I know that's usually how long it takes to get accurate readings, but without the other symptoms of a hard drive crash, and with System Restore seemingly fixing the problem, should I be worried?

By the way...
Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Windows XP SP2

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sounds more like a problem with the software update than with the HDD hardware itself. But to be sure, chek which HDD is in your machine (make and model, if possible). Go to the maker's website and download their free HDD-checking utility package. Run it to test your drive and feel more comfortable.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Spinrite 6 is a fantastic program which will give you an accurate view of your hard drive health. The bonus is that it will repair a great many storage ills and is not very expensive.