Compatibilty of P5K Deluxe/WiFi & Enermax Infinti PSU

Can someone please help me solve a problem of incompatibility between the P5K Deluxe/WiFi motherboard/BIOS and an Enermax Infiniti 720 SLI power supply?

The relevant system details are:

· ASUS motherboard P5K Deluxe/WiFi (with latest BIOS 0501)
· Enermax Infiniti 720 SLI PSU
· Microsoft Vista Home Premium (32bit and all current updates)
· nVidia graphics card 8800GTS (with latest nVidia driver 162.22)
· RAID10 on 4x Seagate 7200.10 HDD's with Intel Matrix Storage Manager (latest driver 7.6.0.1011)
· Latest Intel P35 Chipset software (8.3.0.1013)

The Power supply has a feature called CoolGuard, which keeps the system & CPU fans running after shutdown until the temperature drops below 45C or 2 minutes has elapsed. Presumably this is achieved by keeping the 12V supply up until the temperatures have reached the required level.

When the PC is shutdown into sleep mode (Vista hybrid sleep S3/S4) the PC wakes normally after the CoolGuard system has completed and the fans have stopped. If the PC is woken (by the mouse or keyboard) before the CoolGuard cooling function has completed, the PC hangs with no graphics, and attempts to wake the system usually result in system crashes.

The error messages that arise from waking during the CoolGuard period are varied, but usually there is a message from the BIOS about "failed overclocking - due to a change in memory configuration" although no overclocking is applied, and various error messages as Vista boots. One of the Vista error messages concerns a change to the memory configuration with a warning that the “Resume data may be incorrect” - I think this is related to the BIOS error message. The other Vista error message is simply a message warning about an improper shutdown with the usual options.

This problem effectively makes Sleep mode unusable because any accidental movement of the mouse in the CoolGuard cooling period will cause the system to freeze and then crash when attempting to restart.

The table below shows the state of the Power and HDD activity LED's during the sleep process.

Sleep Mode Stage Power LED HDD LED Comment

1 ON Flashing Vista writing S4 Resume data to HDD’s
2 Flashing ON Fans running until temps <45C or >2mins
3 Flashing OFF Fans stopped & system in Hybrid Sleep

There is obviously some incompatibility between the BIOS/motherboard and the Enermax CoolGuard system. Can anyone please advise how I may overcome this problem?
13 answers Last reply
More about compatibilty deluxe wifi enermax infinti
  1. Theres a special fix for that from microsoft, you have to manually install it. Go to hardocp.com and look at their page for yesterday as it has a link for it.

I'm assuming it'll help since the log says it fixes some issues with the sleep mode.
  2. If the special fix doesn't work, I would unplug any special leads to the motherboard from the power supply for temp monitoring, or uninstall the software causing the error message. I had to stop using asus probe software years ago for the exact same error due to power supply voltage fluctuations during cold boot up.
  3. Thanks guys, I will try the new Microsoft Update
  4. Jefuk

Didi you resolve your problem, because I have the same problem.
    Could you please post lint to that Microsoft patch because I couldn't find it

Thanks
  5. prusnik said:
    Jefuk

Didi you resolve your problem, because I have the same problem.
    Could you please post lint to that Microsoft patch because I couldn't find it

Thanks

prusnik

No, I'm afraid I still have the problem, and even worse there is no solution - other than use a different PSU. Enermax have now informed me that the CoolGuard system is incompatible with some motherboards.

To quote Enermax - "The problem is related to the CoolGuard function and several newer M/B’s. The reason the problem occurs is newer M/B’s will lock the re-start sequence if +12V power still exists when system is in stand-by mode."

I feel quite annoyed about this because you cannot turn CoolGuard off and there is no information to inform the purchaser which motherboards are incompatible. The only advice I got from Enermax was to turn off the Sleep function! I am trying to get Asus to recognise there is an incompatibility of their motherboard, and hopefully they may be able to make a change to the BIOS.

This makes a big dent in Enermax's reputation for quality.

What motherboard are you using?
  6. I use ASUS P5K deluxe WI-FI AP and I have PSU LC6550G V2.0 - 550W.

I will try to turn off sleep function and then will see.
  7. Quote:
    I use ASUS P5K deluxe WI-FI AP and I have PSU LC6550G V2.0 - 550W.

I will try to turn off sleep function and then will see.

Complain to Asus, if more users complain the more likely it is that they will change the BIOS. I don't think turning off Sleep is a satisfactory solution to the problem. There is nothing in the P5K Deluxe spec or user manual to say that it is incompatible with PSU's that hold up the 12V supply. Similarly there is nothing in the Enermax spec to say that it won't work properly with some motherboards.
  8. I agree with you. I have also search in different forums, but I couldn't find solution.

Hope that new bios will resolve these problems
  9. I solve my problem. The problem was PSU. I have another the same one at my office. And now when I shutdows the computer all stops
  10. There is no solution to this problem.

Enermax say:-

"The problem is related to the CoolGuard function and several newer M/B’s. The reason the problem occurs is newer M/B’s will lock the re-start sequence if +12V power still exists when system is in stand-by mode."

Asus say:-

"Sir, this problem can not be fixed by bios level at all.
    I suggest you try to replace a same brand but different model PSU without CoolGuard."

None of the specs or data sheets for the PSU or motherboard mention any incompatibilty, but the bottom line is the Enermax Infiniti PSU's are incompatible with the Asus P5K Deluxe (and others).

DO NOT USE AN ENERMAX INFINITI WITH AN ASUS P5K DELUXE.
  11. I have that PSU and love it, but Enermax should have a way to turn CoolGuard off in the future.
  12. systemlord said:
    I have that PSU and love it, but Enermax should have a way to turn CoolGuard off in the future.

I totally agree. It is a good PSU, if I could find a way of disabling the CoolGuard function then it would solve the problem.

What M/B are you using with the Infiniti?
  13. JefUK said:
    I totally agree. It is a good PSU, if I could find a way of disabling the CoolGuard function then it would solve the problem.

What M/B are you using with the Infiniti?

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi. Lastnight GRAW 2 hardlocked my computer twice (screen froze & computer non-responsive) and I had to turn off the little switch on the back of my PSU to regain control of my PC. I waiting for 9800GTX PCI-E 2.0 card if it comes out in November. You should put your PC spec's in your signature down at bottom of page. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus WiFi Motherboards