Q6660-SLACR availability?

cs4160

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
First time caller, great forum.

Any ideas on where i can get the new G-0 stepping Q6660 (intel quad 2.4)? Last night, I bought or ordered all new components for a system i want to build except for the CPU. Fry's (i'm in San Diego) only has the older version -SL9UM in stock and Tigerdirect and Newegg can guarentee what they will ship in regards to stepping.

I would hate to buy and build a new system with a new CPU just around the corner (although perhaps the difference isnt that much of a big deal anyway).

Any suggestions on where to buy? If i hadnt ordered everything yesterday, i would probably just sit back and wait, but the 30 day return window is starting to tick (in case I have DOA component, etc)

Thanks

chris

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

Cory1234,

How did you get them to confirm it was the G0 stepping? I just spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Fry’s Customer Service and the person I spoke with couldn’t locate the sSpec #, Stepping, CPUID String, TDP or Thermal Specification (numbers that would differentiate one from the other). The only identifying number that they seem to be able to readily locate is the part number but even though the sSpec # is on the box following the Part #, it doesn't show up on their screen that way. He did, however, eventually find the PCG classification but it turned out to be 05B which is the B3 stepping. Maybe your guy actually called the warehouse?

Any hints as to how you managed to get customer service to confirm the SLACR for you?

vixer03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I called Fry's myself and i got the same response as Nightowl. They can't confirm if the CPU is G0 stepping. They didn't even have the SKU#, BOX Version.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

He probably talked to someone who keeps up with technology and who made an educated guess that they'll be out of B3's soon and getting G0's instead.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
They sent me an email confirming that they were shipping G0s. I told them i wanted to buy it but i wasnt going to if they didnt have G0s. They sent me this.

"Dear valued Frys.com customer, Thank you for contacting Frys.com.The Intel Core 2 Q6600 is GO stepping due to popular demand.Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Sincerely, Randy Q"

If the one I get isnt a G0 im going to flip out on them lol. Got 2 day shipping but its coming Monday..mustve just missed the cut off ;(

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Well I don't know if this means anything or not, but the local Fry's only has B3's here(checked often for the last week) and one guy I talked to told me that the upper suits didn't recognize a difference between the models and were only going to be selling B3's. I was under the impression that the B3's were no longer being made and only G0's were being made, so who knows how true this is. Just what they told me, take it with a grain of salt.

dihydroman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
It is very easy to confirm stepping. On the retail box, the PROD CODE is BX90562Q6600SLACR for G0 and BX90562Q6600SL9UM for the old one with BX90562Q6600 in common. So ask for the last 5 digits of the prod code.
BTW, antaresdigital.com advertises that they sell the q6600 pro which is slacr and it isn't a slacr.

vixer03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
clubit.com has the chip for $295. The rep confirm that they have in stock the Q6600 with the new stepping G0. They will be shipping on monday 6th. Everyone put your order now before they are gone. I purchased my today and got a confirmation that it will ship on monday. WOOT!! finally

cs4160

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I called up clubit and they indicated that they were due a shipment of G0's this monday, with expected delivery to customers in my area by tuesday. I placed my order and they indicated that it would sit in their approval stage until they received the new processors. I just checked a few moments ago, and i have a tracking number with an expected fed ex delivery for tomorrow. So, if i think positive, the shipment came in early and i get to work on my new system this weekend. Or...despite what they said, i have a b-3 on the way. I will let everyone know.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I only plan on going for 3.0 although it will be my first try at overclocking..Im probably worrying over nothing. Can B3s reach 3.0 on a thermalright 120 extreme with decent temps?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I expect every one who posted here that they ordered G0 to come back and tell us which revision/stepping you received as soon as you see the box. I won't mention any names cory1234, vixer03 and cs4160. Do not shirk your duty, we are all counting on you. Needless to say, post it in this thread first so we can find out ASAP.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Thanks,
I'm jonesing but I won't buy a B3 and have to go through the hell of trying to return it etc.

I should disclose that the PC I'm building is for my current/ex girlfriend. She uses computers all day and doesn't even like to see them when she gets home, except for email. Her boss is footing the bill and I am building her the baddest web surfing computer ever built. And like I said, she doesn't even surf the web. It's painfully hilarious. All jokes aside, I figure this computer should keep her in good shape for five years plus. I have to cover the woman I care about. Also, I want to see about this trouble free OC to 1333 that Anandtech wrote about. I want to know whether EIST will still kick in and lower the the multiplier without causing crashes. We will see. If I get an answer I'll post it.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

They’re just letting you know that they don’t currently have them in stock. As far as “only going to be selling the B3’s", they’ll sell whatever their supplier sends them and eventually the B3’s will be depleted and all that will be left will be the one’s they’re currently manufacturing and distributing. You might say the SL9UM is a discontinued version replaced by the SLACR.

I’ve been checking my local Fry’s as well. They don’t list the version in the database but I’ve asked them to check stock a couple of times and as of Thursday they had 40 B3’s at one store and 9 at the other.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Sure, I would expect them to sell the old stock first. My friend postulated the theory that their were companies that would buy B3s cheap and sell them along with the G0. He actually accused some of the major retailers of doing just that. I, mistakenly or not, defended them of that. I will wait.

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005

I have a B3 Stepping Q6600 with a Tuniq Tower 120. I just went for it because I thought I couldn't wait, cuz I'm leaving. But here I am, not yet left and G0's are out being sold. Let me tell you, with an Antec 900-similar case and a Tuniq Tower 120. 3.2GHz is the absolute MAX you're gonna get from this chip. Like, safe max. My Vcore is 1.44 and my temps on idle are avg. 46C with ambient at 22C. Thats HOT! When I load that sucker it gets to about 65C give or take 1C. But seeing as normal run situations never become like that, I stuck with that overclock. Thats to say i'm using 8x400 multiplier and fsb because I wanted 1:1 sync with my DDR2-800. Bear in mind, 9X356 would have been easier to OC with lower voltages.

HOWEVER. If you DO want to OC higher than 3.2GHz GET A G0. I've read overclocks up to 3.7GHz+ ON AIR and that makes me kick myself in the butt. I coulda had 9x400 for a 3.6GHz 1:1 sync overclock -_-

All else aside, your Thermalright eXtreme 120 should be better than my tuniq tower with stock fan. Just get a good fan.

PEACE! hope that helps everybody choosing their wonderful Q6600's! i still love my mini beast!!
EDIT: OH YA i forgot to mention i lapped my cpu. easy as pie, I rushed it so wasn't that great a job. if u want pictures and info pm me. it was SO concave. took about 6C off on average and trust me, thats a huge gain in overclocking.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
As soon as I get off work Monday Im flying home and ripping that open. I canceled that clubit preorder 2 days before they get some...figures. I dont want to wait to send mine back if it isnt a G0 either :( I would just buy one from clubit also but I dont have the money lol. (Only 19) Frys will probably try to charge me some bs restock fee anyways... Anyone think I can complain about that email they sent me saying they have G0s? (All in theory that I wont receive a G0.)

Latest posts