Best way to go? Tough decision...

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I might be coming into some cash for an upgrade soon and I am finding it very hard to decide the best way to do this. As you can see in my sig my current system is falling way behind, being a 939. I can either upgrade to an all out Intel Quad core system (thinkin Q6600, 2GB Geil, mid range mobo) and stick with my 8800GTS, or hold out and buy a 9800GTX (or whatever) in a few months, but of course I would have to be stuck with my 939 set up...

I want to run Crysis and similar dx10 games at highest possible settings at 1280x1024 with not even a jitter and no less.

So whats the best thing to do?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... the best thing to do for crysis is wait until benchmarks and reviews come out for it, then base your purchasing more on that. because as it is, noone knows how it runs yet, as even current top of the line hardware might possibly not even be enough for absolutely fluid performance, for even that resolution at max settings... noone knows yet. i would say just to wait, its only few months from now (supposedly). and current hardware will have dropped in price by then most likely, making it so you can purchase better hardware by then too possibly.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay well I wasnt planning on doing anything for at least a couple of months anyway. Still need to know if it's better for me to upgrade to a monster card then, and be stuck with my current system, or hold onto my 8800gts and modernize my rig to an Intel quad. Can't do both.

Another option I was thinking of that I forgot to mention was if I did go for an Intel upgrade in a few months then I could throw another gts in for SLI? Or would that be a waste cause of my res? Surely for a game like Crysis the power would be utilized?

GenericName

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Get a board that best supports future versions of "monster cards" and you will be set to upgrade as you go along.

Im using SLI 680i board so it should be good to upgrade graphics cards should I need to down the road.