How to slow down and quiet DVD-drive during playback

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
My one and only drive is actually a Sony/NEC/Optiarc AD-7173A DVD-Writer. When using it to play DVDs it spins up to an unnecessarily high and loud speed. Is this a property of the drive, of the DVD player software (an old version of PowerDVD) or of Windows (power management)? How can I slow it down to make it quieter?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It sounds like it's a problem with the DVD player. You can slow down record speeds in most recording software but don't think you can slow the play speed. Could try another Drive. I have a Samsung that is the quietest DVD burner I've ever had

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
Thanks. When I run a quality test in Nero CD-Speed at reduced speed, the drive stays at the reduced speed when subsequently playing back DVDs. In other words it is possible to slow playback speed and I would be very surprised if the latest versions of DVD player software didn't do it. Probably just a question of upgrading that software. What are you using these days? A simple program would do me. I don't care about hi-def nor multi-channel audio.