Sign in with
Your question

XP does not recognize the full capacity

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2007 11:32:44 AM

why does the windows XP not recognize the full capacity of the hard drive during installation. my 320GB seagate sata hdd was detected as 130gb. however after installation the XP detected the right amount. is ther any limitation while loading the OS. plz help!

sys config
Intel Core 2 duo e6750 2.66 GHz
Asus P5KC mb
2GB DDR2 800 MHz
320GB seagate Sata 16mb cache hdd

OS - WinXP professional
October 10, 2007 12:34:54 PM

Do some research first. That question has been asked many times.

Short answer: Original XP had a maximum of 128GB support. Only with SP2 (or maybe SP1) that added extra support for over 128GB.

Solution:
1) Create a main partition of 128GB and install on it. Install SP2. With software like partition magic, extend it.
2) Splitstream your CD with SP2. Google it!
3) Move to Vista! :) 
a b G Storage
October 10, 2007 1:05:58 PM

LoneEagle said:
Do some research first. That question has been asked many times.

Short answer: Original XP had a maximum of 128GB support. Only with SP2 (or maybe SP1) that added extra support for over 128GB.

Solution:
1) Create a main partition of 128GB and install on it. Install SP2. With software like partition magic, extend it.
2) Splitstream your CD with SP2. Google it!
3) Move to Vista! :) 

I've answered this same exact question about a half dozen times in the last 6 months, so I feel the pain sometimes.
Related resources
October 11, 2007 8:25:53 AM

thnx for the suggestion, the problm is resolved

had no clue on using the exact phrases to carryout anykind of research on the net, several key combinations returned irrelevant topics.

searching microsoft db did not help too.

Seagate customer care did not have an answer, they were wondering if my mother board supported LBA mode even though i told them mine was a latest Asus p5kc mb.

their knowledge base do not have any reference to this either.
October 12, 2007 11:55:44 AM

this never occured to me, i used some broad terms and the result was disappointing.

hmmm guess i should be less expressive from now on
!