Bent Processor Load Plate? Is it OK?

jmangin

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I'm building my first computer and was getting ready to install the processor but....

The load plate for the processor appears slightly bent (concave as I look down on it). Thus, once the processor is dropped into place and the load plate is placed back down it does not sit flush with the processor, instead the middle portion of the load plate is in contact with the processor surface while the front end of the load plate sits above the surface of the processor by about 2mm. Hence, to close the load plate will require considerable force on the CPU socket lever, which socket lever, before applying force, stands completely upright, exactly perpendicular to the load plate. So to close the load plate, I must begin applying force to the CPU socket lever starting in that perpendicular position because the load plate must be forced down to close that 2mm gap between the load plate and the processor at the front.

Is this normal/intentional? I don't want to destroy a $250 CPU. It doesn't seem right unless you need to apply lots of torque to the processor in order for good contact. Can anyone please advise? I don't know if I'm being overly cautious, but all the books say you shouldn't apply force to the processor. It's hard to believe Gigabyte would mess up on such a simple and critical piece of hardware. Is it supposed to be slightly concave so that there is considerable force used in closing the socket lever?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
It should just drop right in. Do you have Pin 1 lined up. Did you inspect the pins to make sure none are bent? If you’re having to put pressure on it in the full upright position, I can’t help but ask if you took the cover off the cpu…sorry. I’m just asking because I can’t imagine the socket actually being bent to the degree you’re describing.

jmangin

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
The processor drops right in and is aligned correctly and sits in the socket perfectly. The problem in not with a bent socket but with a bent load plate that comes down on the processor to hold it firmly in place in the socket. Because its bent it doesn't sit evenly on the top processor, hence you would need to apply a lot of pressure to the socket lever in order to close down fully the load plate.

Anyway, I think I've figured out the load plate is defective/bent and am returning the board for another one.

FloridaDude

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi jmangin,

I had the same problem. I managed to take the bend out, but the stock processor fan will not fit on the MOBO. I think there is something else up.

Did you get any resolution to your issue yet?

I will email GB and see what they say.

Best,
FD

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Sounds to me like you need to RMA that board. If the processor plate is bent, how would you get good contact with the Heatsink?

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
RMA the board. If you just got it RMA it. Last thing you want is to ruin the CPU and/or mobo trying to either fix it or make it work how it is. Better to have your computer set up the right way than the wrong way.

My motto for stuff like this:

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it right?"

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Don't force it. If you can't close it with reasonable force don't go any further. This is a ridiculous problem that I've run into three times on three mobo's based on the 680i architecture. Chances are you can call the tech support and get a new one sent to you free of charge. If you have a vice you can relatively easily bend it flat. Of the three mobo's two were frighteningly hard to close and the last needed to be bent flat.

shazzam

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I have the same problem the plate would not completely fit on top of the CPU. I was too impatient and did not want to wait for an RMA. I forced the lever down (not a lot of force required but very scary moment). Anyway after I installed the heat sink I noticed that that the back of the board was bent out a little. I did not like that one bit and defiantly thought I had broken the board. I put the system together with the motherboard bent like that and its working fine I have been running all kinds of tests on it and it seems fine.
do you guys think I should still RMA... did I effect the longevity of the board or the CPU by doing this?

xsilvor

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I just got a gigabyte motherboard and had the same problem :( This is my first build so I didn't really know whether this was normal or whether I'd break it if I tried to force it. Im still afraid I may have damaged something just "testing" to see if it was going to lock in. Anyway, I RMAd it today... hopefully the replacement comes soon. I'm getting ancy.

Not a good way to start my first build :(