New to programming, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I want to learn how to "program" so someday I can make my own video games and just all around know more about computers so I'm looking for an intro level programming site or anything I can learn about all aspects of programming, I've never done programming, the most I think I know is the word scripting, and I hardly know what binary is, so I'm looking for some help, very interested and looking for a challenge? any starting tips are welcome! Im just so perplexed on how computers work and how bunch of numbers amount up to a great game such as the witcher 2!!!

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Thanks a bunch man I'm gonna get started soon, but can you tell me will this mess up my computer in any way by running these programs and "attempting programming"??

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Simple no. Visual studio is a program almost like any other. The program alone will not mess up your computer. Depending on how and what you program can mess up your computer ;)

@aford10, Visual Basic might be simple to learn and use, but also lacks in some very important appartments (pointers, different syntax than other languages like java or C#, platform bound, etc.)

@shikhak, C is a good starting point, but C++ is too similar to C so some C restrictions will just confuse him (lacking classes and methods, objects, OOP in general). Since object oriented programing is comon today, C++ will at start try to explain it and help him grasp it. Not to mention C++ will make a lot of things simpler (like using stream writer and reader instead of fprintf and fscanf).

Status
Not open for further replies.