Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Recognizing 2nd SATA Drive

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2007 2:13:18 PM

Hey what's up everybody. I just got a Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB drive from a guy at work. I work in IT. I have a ASUS Crosshair MB, AMD Athlon X2 6000, 4GB G Skill RAM. I run my OS off of a 36gb Raptor. When i installed this drive i had no issues with the connectors or fit. I booted up the computer and everything acts normal but the drive is not recognized. Please let me know if there is anything i can do to get this running. It is SATA so i figure that it is most likely a BIOS setting or something of that sort. Please let me know and thank you for the effort in advance.
October 11, 2007 8:37:25 PM

Is it seen in the BIOS or in Disk Management under Administrative Tools? Could try running the Hitachi diagnotic/repair software from their website. Possible it either needs formatted or a drive letter
October 12, 2007 2:10:40 PM

No i can't see it anywhere. If you could provide a link that would be great. I believe i need to format the Hitachi because it is brand new.
Related resources
October 12, 2007 2:43:06 PM

jjmcmahon7 said:
No i can't see it anywhere. If you could provide a link that would be great. I believe i need to format the Hitachi because it is brand new.

If it's new, it will likely need formatted. This is he Hitachi download site. Think you'll need the Drive Fitness Test but check all of the Downloads out

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

October 14, 2007 4:06:34 AM

When installing a second SATA drive you must go to Windows Disk Management to initialize the drive. When you open Disk Management the new drive is automaticaly initialized and formated. Here's the click path to Disk Management; Click on, Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. :) 
October 14, 2007 1:16:54 PM

scottman said:
When installing a second SATA drive you must go to Windows Disk Management to initialize the drive. When you open Disk Management the new drive is automaticaly initialized and formated. Here's the click path to Disk Management; Click on, Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. :) 

Agree, this is the first thing to try but my experience with this has not been good, which is why I suggested the above. Guess it's my "glass half empty" approach. :) 
November 2, 2007 5:07:26 PM

Scottman, I was having the same problem with my Sata drive.
I followed your advise, step by step and it worked.
Thank You

P.S. My h.d. was also a Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB. Not that it makes a diff.
February 17, 2008 3:15:42 AM

Your welcome.
July 31, 2008 10:35:09 PM

Hi, im having same prob with hitachi ultrastar 500GB one, tried doing your way & it doesnt find it,

its brand new (think...came in silver bag with yellow sticker) & it doesnt recognize it in bios & beeps a few times.....

motherboard is asus P5N32-E SLI with....

1x 250GB sata2 &

1x 80GB IDE

is the HD a dud?

tried it in current working sata socket & couple of others....tried it with other HD's in & with none in & even from booting of windows disc but it never sees it, but it is spinning.....

HELP!
August 1, 2008 2:30:24 PM

check your cables.

check in your bios to see if the sata port is disabled or check other settings relating to sata... when i got my first 1tb drive it read as under 500mb until i found a setting for large disk in my bios.
August 2, 2008 1:23:43 AM

satas always enabled hence me using my 250GB sata.... tried all cables in all ports

there is a setting for large i think.....but its on auto at the mo, so surely that would still work...
January 25, 2010 2:38:42 AM

Scottman advice worked for me too.

I installed a 3rd Hard Drive (1st was a SATA Raptor with O/S, the others were an IDE and a SATA.)
Bios saw ALL my drives, but Window XP Pro only saw my original drives.

Enabling Setup during bootup, my BIOS saw all the hard drives.

After Windows booted up, I clicked on My Computer, but it never saw the new hard drive. (saw all the other ones.)

I installed a brand new Hitachi Deskstar 640 GB. Since it was brand new, I thought I might need to format it, but no disk came with the retail box (from Fry's Electronics. Only hard drive, 2 screws, a SATA cable, and a worthless pamplet.) While doing a search for the format site, this forum came up on the Google search. Glad I found it.

I then tried the My Computer, then went to Device Manager. The hard drive appeared there, but there was no option to format.

I also tried the START button, but went to Programs>Acessories>System Tools. THat was a no go.

Forgot about the Start--> Settings>Control Panel. But I didn't know enough to do all the steps Scottsman said to do.
Arggh, I've installed Western Digital and Seagate hard drives with no problems. First time installing a Hitachi drive.
January 25, 2010 2:44:34 AM

LUXY D said:
satas always enabled hence me using my 250GB sata.... tried all cables in all ports

there is a setting for large i think.....but its on auto at the mo, so surely that would still work...

IF you can, use the same cables for the SATA drive already installed. Plug the new drive into it (to rule out the cables and ports).

Also you can check the BIOS during bootup. If none of these work, put it in a ESD bag and have a computer buddy or store check it. BUt I wouldn't pay for it; not cost effective. I think you might have a dud.
!