finwizard

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I'm in the process of assembling a cheap computer out of mostly used/recycled parts to browse the internet, do email, etc. No games, no overclocking. This is going to be built with an socket 754 motherboard and associated processor and stock cooler.

I've got an old (as in 4-5 years?) tube of Arctic Silver 3 that I'd like to use to mate the heatsink and the processor. This has been stored in a regular room (i.e. heated and cooled) in a vertical position (tip down) as per instructions. I'd like to use the old stuff since this is suppost to be as cheap as possible build.

Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't use this old thermal compound? Also, I see that the instructions for the use of Arctic Silver 3 are no longer on the manufacturers web site (at least I can't find them). Any thoughts on using the instructions that come with the new Arctic Silver 5 (put a small drop on the processor, apply the heatsink and give a quarter turn, clip it down and go).

Thanks for your thoughts.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
The temp difference between the two is only a couple degrees so you will be fine. As far as application I would go with the same as AS5.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
bad idea - i had some artic in the big tube i keep in a frig if i got extras

it lasted for 3 years np - i left it out about 4-5 months and it got stringy and did not spread well

i would toss it if its stringy