Considering the Asus P5K Deluxe

taylok

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I'm considering using this board to build my new system. I read somewhere that you cant mix SATA and IDE drives on this board. Can anyone confirm this? Also are there any other known issues with this board? This will be my first time building a system and I dont intend to overclock. How hard is it to setup the BIOS on this board?

I was also wondering about the upgrade ability of this board. I probably won't end up buying/upgrading anything for two or three years after I build this system. Do you think that by that time this board will still be upgradeable, or would I just be better off scraping the whole thing and buying a new system? The reason I ask is because I like the P5W deluxe because it has a few extra features taht I thin kare pretty cool. I guess what I'm asking is would it be a better investment to spend the extra $35 to buy a slightly better board, or in two or three years will it be obselete anyway, and I would be better off buying a board thats slightly less upgradeable but with more features? (I hope that makes sense)

Thanks in advance

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
This board is great. I work on it and find the BIOS very easy to work in. You can mix IDE and SATA; if people have had problems, maybe they changed settings in the BIOS. I would reccomend the board to anyone, it's very stable.