I have 2 HDDs that I believe are corrupt

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I think my xp system was virus ridden, so I decided to format. I get blue screens on both hard drives. Anyone know of some freeware links that will help me out?

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
reinstall windows OR repair your windows installation... meaning put the windows xp cd before the computer boots in order to boot from the cd and then when you see the installation thingy then go where it says "repair previous installation'

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

Already formated and tried installing.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
If you're getting blue screens while trying to install windows you have a hardware issue. If the drives are old it could be that your hard drives are on their last breath. Also, are these SATA or IDE drives?...I've had problems in the past with a dying drive causing my system to BSOD constantly....One of my IDE drives were dying and it would cause the system to bsod. As soon as I removed it the system became stable. I'm not sure how this would effect SATA drives since they have their own direct connection and don't share a cable if you have multiple drives.....

But try to have only one drive installed....see if that works...Also run memtest to check for memory errors. Reply once you test those out for alternate suggestions if they aren't the case.

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
they're both Sata drives. I tried each of them and to no avail on installing. They're not that old, I think a virus **** them up. Got any good utilities?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Go to the manufacturer's website and get their tools. For instance, seagate has seatools. WD has something as well, but don't know what its called.

TRENDING THREADS