Potential Build (Based on Intel e6750)

omerome

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I am trying to build a new computer as my current one is showing its age (AMD Athlon XP 2400+).

I already purchased the Antec P180b case from a previous deal so I need pretty much everything but that.

I am not a heavy gamer but would like a system that can handle some of the recent games decently. I am trying to keep my price under $1000 if possible.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Video Card: Undecided
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply - Retail
DVD Drive: LG 18X DVD±R Lightscribe DVD Burner Black IDE Model GSA-H44LK - OEM

Now, I'm unsure of the video card right now and was wondering if anyone can assist me with some recommendations as well as what I have so far?

Thanks! :)

I second the S3L advice, because it would allow you to improve the video card with the savings.

Get a 8800 GTS 320 MB for $265, or, if you absolutely cannot do that, an X1950XT for $170. Prices are approximate and depend on brand and retailer of course. The GTS is better value, so seriously if $265 is doable go for it.

Soemthing is messed up, when I started replying there was a post advising you to get GA-P35-S3L. It has disappeared. Anyway, get that one instead if the budget is very tight.

omerome

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Thanks. I just have another question though.

What is the difference between the GA-P35-S3L vs. GA-P35-DS3R exactly?

Also I think I'll probably go with the X1950XT because my budget is somewhat limited.

aevm: I posted that link but deleted it. I was frustrated because a link I was referencing kept getting a space put in it, making it invalid.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/2007/06/11/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_mo ney/
the forum kept inserting a space in the middle, making the link invalid. It links to an article on tom's describing the best video cards for the money for june 2007.
My suggestion is to pick the best card you feel comfortable paying for from that list.

I also suggested the Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L. It differs from the DS3R in that it does not support raid. That's the "R" in the description. I think it also doesn't support some earlier pentium processors. That's the "D"?. Neither is a big loss IMHO.

Oh, OK, mystery solved. :) Yeah, that space occurs when I use Quick reply. It goes away if I explicitly put the words {url} and {/url} around the link, but then I have to type those manually if I'm in Quick reply. Hopefully they'll fix it soon...

Edit: I meant [ not {, but when I wrote [ I ended up with the "and" converted to hyperlink :)

S3L/DS3R differences I can think of:
- lack of RAID. Not important there, we only have one disk anyway.
- limit of 4 SATA devices + 2 IDE devices instead of 8 SATA + 2 IDE. Again not important here, but it was essential for me.
- the GA-P35-DS3R has somewhat better onboard sound. I bet I wouldn't sense a difference, and I got an X-Fi anyway, but omerome will use the onboard sound and he may have very good ears, how would I know :)

I got a GA-P35C-DS3R last week, but on a tight budget the S3L is a better choice than GA-P35-DS3R or GA-P35C-DS3R.

omerome

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Ohh ok thanks!

I do wonder why that particular motherboard isn't talked about more often. I really don't need RAID as I do use 1-2 hard drives (one for storage, one for the OS/applications) and since I would be purchasing a newer Intel processor, it looks to work out nicely. :)

Oh by the way, I do have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS in this computer I'm posting on and just thinking of transferring it to my new build.

So otherwise, the power supply would be able to handle everything in this system just fine or should I upgrade to something bigger?

Yes, that PSU can handle your system.
Yes, you should upgrade to something bigger anyway. I know it sounds silly, but let me explain:

If you get a 620HX instead of the 520HX you have more room for adding disks or cards later.

Also, the 620HX would work in the ideal efficiency range (80% or better), while the 520HX would be closer to its high-load limit and you'd get 70% efficiency. With the 520HX you'd pay a bit more in electricity bills and you'd have more heat generated in the PSU.

Look at the charts here. They're for my own PSU, not the HX, but the curve is similar for all PSUs.
http://anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3040&p=11

On the other hand, if you only have $50 or so left they'd be better invested in upgrading the video card. I really don't know here... Ideally you'd get both the 620HX and the 8800 GTS, but that's 50$+$95... Maybe if you don't get the hard disk now and reuse your existing disk (either SATA or IDE would do). Same for the DVD-RW, can you reuse what you have and get that new LG later? The S3L board allows 2 IDE devices.

omerome

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I could reuse my current DVD drive to save money but I figure since this system (the one I'm typing on) would be replacing an even older system, I don't want to take out something without a decent replacement.

Now that you did bring up the efficiency range, I bet my current power supply must be running on it's last legs - literally. I can feel warm to hot air blowing out the back and the case it self is somewhat warm. So if I have to spend a bit more to have a system that can run efficiently, then I'll just have to do it.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it. :D