GF8600/HD2600 and HDTV

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Okay, perhaps, this GF8600/HD2600 subject should be in HDTV section but it's mostly about the graphics cards and what they are capable of. Also, I wanted to go off on a couple of related tangents relating the uses of the two video cards.

I use Win2K, (will be using) XP and Linux. I'll have two computers, one is a Linux machine and the other will be a Windows machine. I'll likely do most of my HDTV and video encoding/watching on the Windows machine. But, I wanted the option of trying (similar) usage on the Linux machine. Therefore, I was leaning towards an Nvidia GF8600 or 8500-series card so that I could have many options. Keep in mind, the Linux machine is already built and accounted for except the current GPU is only an ATI X300SE so I might upgrade in the future. For now, Linux runs fine with it. Windows 2000 is on a separate partition and the video playing runs okay. I'm building a Q6600 computer with XP on it but I read that Nvidia still don't have proper drivers for the 8600 so HDTV viewing is limited and is not optimized as it is in Vista. I don't want to add another OS to the equation as I've already invested $$$ in the new computer.

Does anyone know when Nvidia will come out with drivers or should I look at ATI's cards? I know there are no drivers yet for it for Linux OS. I'm trying to decide whether to have it as a 100% Windows machine and get the ATI card or get an Nvidia card and wait for the drivers. Or should I go for an older video graphics card (e.g. Nvidia 7600GT)? The 8500 and ATI 2400 are cheap and even the GF8600/HD2600 cards are not overly expensive so I thought those were better options over older cards.

Can anyone comment or recommend?

P.S.
Is it just me or is Nvidia going really slow regarding support of XP? Also, ATI had announced a claim of much better Linux support (in near future) but that is also going very slow.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Well, the new computer won't have a video card if I wait but I guess I could try to borrow an old one?

The Linux situation is mostly for options as I already have a "Linux" machine. What I would like to know is how the ATI HD 2000 series cards fare in Windows XP compared to Nvidia's. I think there are all sorts of problems with both company's cards in Vista and I'll be using XP anyway so I would assess based on XP operation.

I think ATI is taking a long time for Linux drivers but similarly, Nvidia has taken what seems like forever for H.264 (hardware acceleration) XP drivers for their 8500/8600 cards. I figured the 8600 cards would be ideal if Nvidia came up with decent drivers for XP as I could add a Linux partition if I so desired. But, for now, general video operation in XP is the priority and I don't know if ATI's cards work well enough to choose it.