Sign in with
Your question

Installation order for new PC build (after h/w assembled)

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2007 9:26:58 PM

After everything is put together and I start up my system for the first time, what is the recommended order for the next steps? :

In no particular order:
Load OS (Vista),
Update Bios,
Update OS
Load Apps that come with MB
Update MB drivers/sw
Load Vcard SW
Update vcard drivers/sw
Update other drivers
etc

I havent really followed a strict order before and was wondering if anyone has some tips or suggestions.

Thank you!!!!

New system:
BFG 680i
q6660
4GB Corsair xms2
wd 500gb Sata
bfg 8800GTS 640mb oc
gigabyte aurora case
therm 850 psu
sata dvd burner
zallman 9700 cpu cooler
Vista ...yes, i might regret this... :) 
August 3, 2007 9:32:10 PM

cs4160 said:
After everything is put together and I start up my system for the first time, what is the recommended order for the next steps? :

In no particular order:
Load OS (Vista),
Update Bios,
Update OS
Load Apps that come with MB
Update MB drivers/sw
Load Vcard SW
Update vcard drivers/sw
Update other drivers
etc

I havent really followed a strict order before and was wondering if anyone has some tips or suggestions.

Thank you!!!!

New system:
BFG 680i
q6660
4GB Corsair xms2
wd 500gb Sata
bfg 8800GTS 640mb oc
gigabyte aurora case
therm 850 psu
sata dvd burner
zallman 9700 cpu cooler
Vista ...yes, i might regret this... :) 

In this order. Load OS. Load MB CD drivers and utilities. Load graphics card driver. Go online and get all OS updates installed. Go to MB website and update all system drivers. Load all other software.
August 3, 2007 9:52:27 PM

Get the drivers form the ati / amd / nvidia / intel website not the MB website.
Related resources
August 3, 2007 9:58:36 PM

what about updating the bios. at what point in the above order would you do that? THANK YOU.
August 3, 2007 10:27:36 PM

After you get your system up and running, loaded with the software you will be using, you can go online to your MB manufacturer and check the BIOS revisions and determine if you need a specific version other than you have. Generally,I use the latest non-Beta BIOS version on my systems
August 3, 2007 10:50:41 PM

cs4160 said:
what about updating the bios. at what point in the above order would you do that? THANK YOU.

Regarding BIOS revisions. You should check your Mb's website for the BIOS revisions and what revision supports which CPUs. You will need that BIOS revision which supports your processor in order to install your CPU. You will find most experienced builders check BIOS and CPU support before buying components and beginning a build.
August 3, 2007 10:58:43 PM

load OS, load MB drivers from nvidia (don't use the ones on the CD and then update them, IMO), load graphic drivers, load OS updates and restart each time. Then install software and update those as you go...forget about updating your BIOS, you are buying a new mobo that hasn't gone through processor changes (like AM2 boards will with uber 1337 haxors Phenom(inal)) so you won't need it. if it runs, it runs, BIOS updates can be hard as it is, you don't want to eff things up.
August 3, 2007 11:09:57 PM

Your MB and your video card come with CD drivers from the manufacturers. My personal preference. I would use the CD that came with the products and load the original, tested to work drivers that came with the products. Especially if you have no prior experience with the products you are building. You can always update the drivers from Nvidia/AMD/ATI/Intel. Just my personal experience as I said. Do what you want.
August 3, 2007 11:42:05 PM

If you have a virus protection disk i would install that before going online. If you don't have a virus program I would suggest that the first thing you do online is get one and download it..then go find your drivers etc.
BIOS upgrade? Make a back-up before going there!
First discover what BIOS you have. You might have the correct version.
August 6, 2007 1:38:35 PM

thanks for all the tips
!