Sign in with
Your question

Weird Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2007 7:52:44 PM

Heres a weird question, if I get a SLI mobo rite, and in 1 slot I put a 7950gx2 and in the other a 7600gt.

Will it disable the SLI on the 7950gx2 and try to enable it with the 7600gt in teh nvidia control panel, if not what would it look like?

More about : weird question

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2007 7:54:38 PM

7950gx2 plus 7600gt will look like a blank screen. The cards have to be the same to run SLI (ex. 7600gt x 2).
August 11, 2007 8:09:19 PM

No i meant, would they be able to run seperatly say have 1screen plugged into a 7600gt while the main card 7950gx2 is still actually in SLI mod, being 2cards together, and having itself also connected to a different screen.

Sorry 4 the confusion.
Related resources
August 11, 2007 8:24:02 PM

hmmm, you've got a head scratcher there, maybe email nVidia and ask?

I'll see if my nVidia programmer friend has any idea, it's good to have friends on the inside :) 

... he'll probably say, "i have no idea, i just fix drivers."
August 11, 2007 8:47:29 PM

im confused...
August 12, 2007 10:44:55 AM

Hard question eh :D 

Would be a disapointment if I couldnt do something like that.. I kind wanted to use dual screens but I didnt want to cut the graphics powers down..
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 12, 2007 10:53:49 AM

[:mousemonkey:2] I would have thought that when SLI is enabled the output would be directed to one monitor on the 7950x2 assuming this is the card in PCI-e slot 1 and then when SLI is disabled all outputs on both cards would function .
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2007 12:50:09 PM

I am not completely sure what would happen, but I would think that mousemonkey has a good guess. If you do not physically connect the SLI cable to the graphics cards, and do not have SLI enabled, I would think you'd have a good chance at running 2 monitors (1 off each card)

Another question for you hatman is this - why don't you just plug both monitors into the 7950? It does have to outputs, doesn't it? I assume you are trying to keep the 7950 dedicated for gaming, right?

Give it a try though and contact nvidia like someone else mentioned. Good luck with it...I wondered about something similar w/ my 680i board, but am not yet to the dual monitor stage, yet.
August 13, 2007 2:59:30 PM

Well, after I get new MOBO ill try to see if any mates have another nvidia card I can borrow to test it out, before I buy one myself.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 13, 2007 3:32:43 PM

It'd be interesting to see what happens, please post back the results of your experimentations.
August 13, 2007 4:20:36 PM

also record a vid just incase everything goes nuts and you loose some hardware :D 
August 13, 2007 4:26:56 PM

lol.. once I get all my new stuff im defo taking some pics, going to look awesome :D 
August 16, 2007 8:20:50 AM

I think you'll be fine, actually enabling SLI on the motherboard does a bunch of things with buses and stuff, bridging the two PCIE inputs. But since the 7950GX2 is only plugged into 1 slot it's not necessary to have SLI enabled on the motherboard to get both 7900 chips running together on the card, well unless you have two 7950GX2 cards running (one for each PCIE slot) then you'd have to enable SLI to take advantage of that.

But I'm probably starting to confuse people. You do not have to have SLI enabled to use one 7900GX2 card, all the combining of the graphics power is done on the card. So you should be able to plug in the 7600GT as well and have a 2nd monitor coming out of that one. All of this with SLI disabled, and still have the 7950GX2 running at full power.

This was confirmed by my nVidia mate, who reminded me that SLI has nothing to do with a single card (even if it is 1 card with two processors like the 7950GX2) and everything to do with getting the two PCIE slots to behave like 1.
August 16, 2007 8:52:25 AM

Unfortunately you can not run two different cards in the pci-x slots.Both cards must be the same model.I.E;2 7900gt's.Unfortunately the PCI-X slots are not designed to run 2 different video cards.If you try it,you'll likely get an error or no screen at all.You can,however,run a PCI-x card and a regular PCI card seperately.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32 SLI DELUXE MB
ATHLON64 X2-5600+
EVGA 7950GT KO
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
2X1GIG DDR2 800 MEMORY
WD SATA2 80/250GIG HD
RAIDMAX SMILIDON GAMING CASE
XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION
August 16, 2007 9:53:52 AM

Dahak, isn't this only for running in SLI or crossfire mode, so long as both cards are by the same manufacturer and not AMD/nVidia that require different drivers you should be able to run two different cards, just you cant SLI them.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 10:06:12 AM

GeoMan said:
Dahak, isn't this only for running in SLI or crossfire mode, so long as both cards are by the same manufacturer and not AMD/nVidia that require different drivers you should be able to run two different cards, just you cant SLI them.

I have had a 7900GT and a 7900GTO in the same rig at the same time and can say hand on heart that they will not run in Sli mode but they will run as separate cards.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 12:18:31 PM

You're goint to want a board that can runs x16 mode on the first slot and "something" on the second at the same time. Some boards make you run x8 on both slots...and I think the 7950GX2 uses eight pathways for each of its cards.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 12:27:01 PM

In that case I should add that the board I used was an Abit AN8 32X.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 12:43:30 PM

Ah but mousemonkey he's speaking of the GX2, which is two cards that are bolted together and use one slot as an interfece
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 12:51:39 PM

Crashman said:
Ah but mousemonkey he's speaking of the GX2, which is two cards that are bolted together and use one slot as an interfece

Yes I am aware of that and that's why I asked him to post back his results, it was more in reference to Dahak's post about not being able to run two different cards in the same motherboard, I apologise if I appeared to be trying to confuse or mislead as this was not my intention.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 1:11:59 PM

Yeh, I think nearly everyone knows that you can run two cards on an SLI board independantly, including different models. You can even run different brands, but if I recall corectly the nVidia driver insists on being "primary"
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 1:27:28 PM

Crashman said:
Yeh, I think nearly everyone knows that you can run two cards on an SLI board independantly, including different models. You can even run different brands, but if I recall corectly the nVidia driver insists on being "primary"

Hmm, reading through the thread again it doesn't appear to be what I would term as 'common' knowledge, confusion still abounds it seems, I did not think different brands would work so that's news to me, any more 'quirks' that you know of? :??: 
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 1:35:23 PM

Last time I ran an ATI and nVidia card together, the only bad thing I noticed was that one of the two wouldn't work as a secondary card and would try to force the primary position. Since 7x and 8x nVidia cards use different drivers, it's possible that both would fight for priority if you mixed them, but I haven't tested that as far as I can remember.

Oh, when one card insists on being primary, you'd better have it in the first slot if you want the "boot up" display to be the same as the primary Windows display.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 1:48:03 PM

So I suppose the next question to be asked is what of the OP's query, will a 7950Gx2 run in Sli mode and still allow the use of a 7600GT at the same time?
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 4:01:52 PM

Yes, SLI works with a third card on any 3-slot board, so SLI "in a slot" should work a third card on any motherboard that has the full 16 pathways on the primary slot and additional pathways on the second one.
August 16, 2007 4:46:15 PM

mousemonkey, read my 2nd last post, that will answer u'r question.

SLI is about combing motherboard buses, not two in one graphics cards!
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 4:58:35 PM

The two-in-one 7950GX2 uses SLI across two cards on one slot. That's why using two 7950GX2's required "Quad SLI" to be developed.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 16, 2007 5:26:00 PM

GeoMan said:
mousemonkey, read my 2nd last post, that will answer u'r question.

SLI is about combing motherboard buses, not two in one graphics cards!

So the the simple answer to the original question is 'yes' a 7950Gx2 will run in Sli mode whilst a 7600GT is displaying something else on a second and or third monitor. I've not had these two cards in my possession ever so I'm just trying to get my head around 'Sli on a stick' and what you can do with it.
August 16, 2007 10:32:50 PM

hehe, SLI stick sounds like an expensive thing to stir your coffee with :) 

But i'm pretty sure the intended use was to use it to game at abnormally high frame rates.
August 17, 2007 7:16:53 AM

Indeed :D 

Thanks.
August 18, 2007 9:14:59 AM

Dahak said:
Unfortunately you can not run two different cards in the pci-x slots.Both cards must be the same model.I.E;2 7900gt's.Unfortunately the PCI-X slots are not designed to run 2 different video cards.If you try it,you'll likely get an error or no screen at all.You can,however,run a PCI-x card and a regular PCI card seperately.Goodluck.

Dahak

I don't want to confuse people but PCI-X is NOT the same than PCI-E.

And I think it is possible to run normal SLI and have a third graphics card in non-SLI mode working too. So why wouldn't the 7950GX2 and the 7600GT work together?
August 22, 2007 11:45:10 AM

Well I cant post results now because it appears my 7950GX2 is faulty. Idk whats wrong with it it switches on the fans go n everything but it cannot transmit to the screen.

Unless anyone knows anything I can do I'm going to have to save up for another month or so to buy another card.
August 23, 2007 7:31:55 AM

That really sux, cant you RMA it?

I had a 6600GT back in the day that did exactly the same to me, they had no problem swapping it out.

and on the dark side of humor, now you really do have an expensive SLI stick coffee stirrer :mouais: 
August 23, 2007 7:04:24 PM

Gotta laugh at that.. lol
!