p5k, Why am I still at 2.41Ghz when I am clearly set to 9 x 311?

CrazyFace

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Man, I cannot iron out these computer troubles.

So I think that my computer may have either bad ram or a bad motherboard due to its eratic power-up problems.... but here's the real issue for this topic:

Now my overclocking is not functioning properly. I have a P5K wi-fi premium board, and a Q6600; for cooling: tuniq tower.

Anyway, when I first got the computer I decided that running it at 2.8 would probably be a better idea than pushing 3 since I live in a hot city.... maybe in the winter i'll kick it up. But, in the last week or so I've had strange problems - including this one:

Now I have my settings to 9 x 311, speedstep and all that turned off... but when I then restart and go under my bios' info, it tells me it's just at 2.41Ghz. Then I go to windows and run CPU-Z and it appears that speedstep is still on because it's running at 1.6 until i run orthos... then it goes up to 2.4

I'm saving my settings, everything's like it has been. What the hell should I do?

akhilles

Splendid
I don't know about P5K, but Gigabyte P35 & P965 have a fail-safe feature that will reset the FSB & multiplier if the bios detects problems in overclocking. It's automatic. Once I change a setting, the system will power off a split sec & come back on. If fail-safe kicks in, it will go off again & comes back on.

I would try saving bios to a profile, load default, disable throttling settings, and see if it will stay at 2.4 the whole time. If so, then overclock it gradually to your target.