havefun79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I was having heat issues with my Chip so I decided to reseat the heatsink. I got the temps down a little, but after shutting down for the night I started up the next morning and as soon as windows loaded it froze. I restarted and got nothing. The system is running, but their is no video. Could I have damaged something when I put on the heatsink? When I did it one of the pins bent back and I kind of pushed it hard. My specs are as follows
intel q6600
gigabyte ga p35 ds3r
nvidia 8800 gts
ocz gamestream 700w
artic freezer 7 heat sink
antec 900 case

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

What pins, CPU socket pins? If so I don't know how you could have done that trying to put your HSF on. If you bent a pin you could have a dead mobo. :cry:

havefun79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
The brackets that hold the heatsink to the mobo bent. could have a dead mobo but everything does seem to spin up when i turn it on just no video.

tranhgiang

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Take out the heatsink, the cpu, and put them back together from the beginning.

I have the problem of everything turn on but nothing on monitor before.
That's what I did. Work for me.

The problem can be simply a loose contact.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It could also mean the because you bent one metal bracket that your CPU cooler is not making good contact causing your CPU to shutdown because of high heat. I hate those push in pin type coolers.

first of take off the heatsink and clean it.....now make sure all pins are rotated right again and make sure they make it all the way thru the board or else it will kind of half hold and overheat you....on a plus side Q6600's are impressively cool and power efficient for the number of cpus when compared to netburts from just a year and a half ago....

For the record about 2x(my system is in my profile) the power of my XP 1800 GF4ti 1 hdd 1 stick of ram system(both @ max cpu[folding] load no video load) and if you ask me its a monster for that power rating(not that i will leave it on 24/7 either.....but a core solo or low power X2 CD2 system will give me a new low power machine)....47-47-49-51 all cores loaded.....not too bad.....

havefun79

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I was finally able to figure it one of my ram sticks is dead. That is why it would not post it just froze the system as soon as i started it. Kind of sucks, but i will be rma'ing it. not as bad as a dead board. I've never rma'd through newegg before. Could i just send them for a refund and order new sticks to save time or would it be better to exchange them and wait for replacement sticks.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

NewEgg is fast on RMA's and you might not get the same price.