Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Storage

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2007 2:57:32 PM

Hey Everybody --
I'm looking for a way to store about 10-20 3.5 hard drives. I use an individual hard drive for each video project I do, so i'm looking for a good way to store all of them. Any suggestions?

-jorberg

More about : hard drive storage

October 16, 2007 4:06:06 PM

Well, since no one has replied I guess I can say a few things... hard drives do not play nicely with static electricity, impacts/Gs and magnetic fields.

So... I wouldn't use styrofoam since I believe it conducts electricity. Anything with a speaker in it has a magnet of some sort... so I'd keep the drives away from stereos and TVs. I guess how drives are shipped would be the safest method... most drives I receive come in a cardboard box, surrounded by 3 inches of foam on all sides with the drive being sealed in a static-proof bag. Yes, I guess that's your answer.
October 16, 2007 5:52:29 PM

static proof bags are good, also in a dry place with a constant climate.. so an attic would not be a good choice.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 16, 2007 6:28:13 PM

I would buy some wood and build it myself. Not too difficult.
October 16, 2007 7:04:12 PM

Okay -- so what WOULD be a good choice? I'm not looking to build something. I need some kind of storage cabinet with hard drive slots or something. Does anybody have any suggestions?
October 16, 2007 7:13:00 PM

Regardless of how you store them, the magnetic fields are going to slowly go bad. Make sure you bring them out every so often (<10yrs) and copy stuff from one drive to the next until they've all been re-copied. Same concept as having an old floppy drive go bad from disuse.

October 16, 2007 8:04:31 PM

Depending on what amount of data you're storing, you might want to consider services that offer online storage. Sure, it might take a while to re-download the data, but those types of services have levels of redundancy that home users can only dream of.
October 16, 2007 9:11:02 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=60... ....try that link, it might give ya an idea, and if ya like you can always cushion the drawers with a thin foam or somthing? But you can check lowes or homedepot for simular products? They come in different sizes and are stackable......Just an idea???
!