Sign in with
Your question

Can't format hard drives (SATA)

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2007 4:22:51 AM

System: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1, Q6600, (1) WD 150GB Raptor HD - SATA, (1) WD 250GB HD - SATA. My computer is booting fine, but Windows XP or Vista will not format either of my hard drives. This is a brand new system that I just built. Windows Vista gave a warning that the hard drive may not be bootable or something like that. Windows XP freezes at one percent when formatting. Anybody have a solution to this?
August 4, 2007 5:04:07 AM

I assume that you are trying to format them as part of the install.

Generally that is caused by the RAID controller options. Turn off RAID and/or set the option to emulate IDE until after install. You can then switch it back if you wish. It is doubtful that you will see a performance increase anyway. Barring not doing that you will have to load a driver from floppy at the first screen during installation. See if your motherboard manual mentions where and how to find the driver.
August 4, 2007 1:55:43 PM

RAID was already disabled.
Related resources
August 4, 2007 2:41:29 PM

you could try a third party application
August 4, 2007 4:42:00 PM

What SATA ports did you use? If they are not in the 2 that are facing forward try them. I cant speak for the Nvidia chipset but the Intel chipset has a "bootable" set on the ICH8R. In the EVGA manual the 2 SATA are port 1 and 2 on controller 1.

Try only the Raptor in SATA 1 and leave the 250 out till you install Windows.

1Haplo
August 4, 2007 9:56:59 PM

I got my memory problem fixed and had the same problem. I ran Western Digital's diagnostic tool on the hard drives and the WD Rapter showed to have errors. I will be RMA'ing it Monday. The larger, slower hard drive works just fine.
!