Windows XP Home support for Intel Core 2 Duo

Pibbles

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I have just recently built my first C2D system and everything is running fine. Hardware is....

Asus P5N32-E
NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
2 Gig Corsair DDR800 RAM
2x250 GIG RAID 0 SATA2 drives
1x250 GIG SATA2 Drive
Creative X-FI Fatal1ty Pro

I installed Windows XP Home on the system for no other reason than that was what was running on my previous system, which I'm upgrading from.

My question is whether XP Home supports multiple processors or multiple cores. Am I throttling the system by running XP Home? I'd appreciate any XP OS thoughts/recommendations.

TIA

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Multiple core processors work fine with XP Home. If you open task manager you should see 2 graphs in the CPU usage box in the performance tab.

Pibbles

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Oops. I knew I forgot something...

include Intel Core2 Duo E6750 in the above build.

Thanks, xjustice09x. I'll check the task manager tonight and verify that I have 2 graphs (unfortunately, I'm at work right now).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I totally understand the OP's confusion on this topic... when Windows XP originally came out we were told "Want multi-processor? Well, you better go with XP Pro because Home doesn't support that." However, when dual-core CPUs started pouring out, Microsoft clarified their policy saying that XP Home only supported one physical CPU... thus a dual core or even a quad core CPU that sits in a single socket would work fine with XP Home. I had the same question the OP had 2 years ago when I got my X2 4400+.