Problems overclocking on vista

tinman69

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I was running xp fine with an e6700 overclocked to 3.6 othros stable for 24 hrs, I recently installed vista and am having a weird problem.

Everything at default settings in bios vista runs perfectly, as soon as I overclock the slightiest amount, for some unknown reason I cannot access control panel, windows media centre or display settings, other than not being able to access these few things vista does run perfectly overclocked, but soon becomes annoying as I have to set everything to default just to access the control panel.

Any help would be greatful

James10

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Do you have Zone Alarm installed? That damn program caused similar problems on my Vista machine. Had to do a system restore to before I installed it to get my control panel, and a few other things, back.

I can't see how overclocking could cause the problem.

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Make sure you have all the Vista updates installed. There is one in particular that deals with non-access of control panel.

TexasVol

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
There is a patch for the network drivers that fixes the "control panel wont start" bug. Check the latest updates. If that doesnt fix it, it is probably some kind of network instability introduced. Apparrently Control Panel uses some network DLLs. If the net stuff crashes, the whole Control Panel dies.

TRENDING THREADS