Sign in with
Your question

Spec Check/Advice For New Build

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2007 4:50:26 AM

Hello,
I'm putting together a new build and I'd like to do a double check and get some advice since it has been a few years since the last one. I don't plan to OC and I probably won't upgrade it much over the next 2-4 years.

32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium (I'm concerned about compatibility with the 64-bit)

Case:
Antec P150 - I need the ATS mini tower case because I only have 17" of height in the desk I will be using. This case is also supposed to be quiet which is nice.

PSU:
Antec Neo HE 430W that comes with the case. This was rated at 430W at 50C which seems pretty good.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (this looks the same as the GA-P35-DS3R but with built in Firewire I can use for my video camera)

Processor:
I was planning on an E6750 but after seeing advice in these forums I am leaning toward the Q6600 again.

Memory:
3GB total in 2 1GB sticks and 2 512MB sticks to allow full dual channel utilization and since 4GB can't be seen by 32-bit Vista.
G-Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2 x 1GB kit (2GB total)
G-Skill F2-6400CL5D-1GBNQ 2 x 512MB kit (1GB total)

Video Card:
MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB (will 256MB be enough for upcoming games?)

Optical Drive:
LITE-ON Black 20X DL DVD burner

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Mouse/KB:
Not sure but it needs to be wireless. I will grab one of the sets from Newegg. Any reasonably priced suggestions? (they have a wireless mouse/kb combo for $30 but that seems too cheap...)

Monitor:
BenQ FP202W V3 Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (any drawbacks to this model?)

I'll be using all of the stock cooling. I might buy a 92mm fan for the front of the case if someone suggests it. The main usage will be video editing, rendering with blender, web etc., and games. I'm looking to put in an order in the next couple of weeks and I plan to buy most of the parts from newegg.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you can offer.

More about : spec check advice build

August 4, 2007 7:13:19 AM

Would you be able to fit 17.1" inside your desk?
If so, I'd suggest getting Centurion 534 case (newegg.com) + Corsair 520HX from buy.com, it will cost exactly the same but you get a better case and one of the best PSU's there is for the price. Based on the reviews the case is quiet and I can tell from personal experience 520HX is nearly silent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://tinyurl.com/3dr4fc

MB - Great.
Q6600 - Great.

Memory, I never tried using different sized sticks on the same mobo, I'd suggest sticking to 3x1GB if you want 3GB for 32bit Vista.

Video: 8600 series perform bad for the money. If you can't afford the $260 8800 GTS 320MB (which by the way offers unbelievable performance for the money), you should go with Sapphire X1950XT, for nearly the same amount of money it will wipe the floor with all 8600 series. And also, 256MB won't be enough to run the upcoming DX10 titles on high settings, 512mb is recommenced. If you have high settings in mind with 50+ FPS, consider getting 8800 GTS 640MB version.

O D: Fine.

HDD Fine, even though Seagate offers longer warranty.

KB&Mouse: Up to you completely.

Monitor: I don't recommend getting that BenQ, it has one big drawback, 140 degree viewing angles - which is very weak by todays standards. Such bad angles can only mean one thing, it has a poor quality panel, so the chances are you won't be happy with the picture either.

Recommendations:

The best 20" you can find today is LG L206WTY-BF. 3000:1 contrast, 2ms response time, 170 degree viewing angles.
Pure gold. But it is somewhat expensive, $239 at newegg or $224 at PcConnection.com

Second best in my opinion is Acer AL2051W, very rare 8-bit panel, 800:1 contrast, 8ms, 176 degree viewing angles. No visible ghosting, great colors. Only $199, a great buy.

Hope that helped a little,
Good luck.

August 4, 2007 2:59:40 PM

There is some great info there thanks. I'll check to see if that case can fit in the desk or not. It might be tight. That PSU looks pretty good although I don't think I need the power.

The reason I used different memory sizes is to keep them in pairs. Bank 0 should have two of the same size and bank 1 should have two of the same size in order to utilize the dual channel controller. I think it should be OK.

Your advice on the video card is interesting. The x1950XT definitely performs better according to the VGA charts. I really wanted a DX10 card but maybe it doesn't make sense. If I am willing to run at a lower resolution could I still take advantage of the new DX10 features? I have seen some head to head comparisons and the new features seem to enable more realistic lighting and smoke etc. I might be willing to sacrifice supper high resolution for some of these features.

Fantastic advice on the monitor! I had not done much research there so I was really just picking a brand I knew that met my specs. The models you suggest don't cost much more so I will check them out.

Thanks again for your feedback. I welcome further comments on either my original build proposal or these new suggestions.
!