are nvidia prices going down soon for geforce 8?

dayaldiw

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I was just wondering if the Nvidia prices are gonna be going down in the next month or two because geforce 9 would be coming in about november sometime hopefully.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
A little maybe. As far as i understand the new card will replace the former highend and nvidia will stop selling/producing those. It really depends on the price nvidia will ask for. If it´s cheap, the older cards will drop too. If it´s expensive the demand for the older cards will rise and since there will be no more supply prices will skyrocket.
If you´re willing to look at ebay you might see a price decline. I´m not certain about retail prices though.

I dont understand the reasoning behind the idea that they will stop making the 8800 series if that were true you wouldnt be able to buy a 7900 card which you can or the 7600s.
So clearly it will be a case of seeing if the demand is there first dont see them just stopping making them.
I have said it here before and will say it again if they price them right they will be able to knock the 1950s out of the market, well pcie any way and then be able to stop making the 7900s instead.

Have you tried shopping around the UK for a 7900GT or GTX recently or any time since last summer come to think of it, because I have and I can tell you now that they are not exactly packing the shelves mate, in fact the August edition of Custom PC lists the 7900GT,GTX and GX2 as no longer on sale in the UK.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
This question comes up every year,and last year the 7900gtx never really dropped price after the 8800's came.They just slowly became unavailable.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Without any real competition they'll most likely just release the new cards at a higher price like the Ultra and then slowly remove the older ones from the market. If you build it, they will buy it and with the lack of competition they can charge whatever they want.

In answer to your question yes, I have. Have you?
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125936/rb/0
http://www.misco.co.uk/application s/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=258274&CatId=0
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=270444&am p;am p;CatId=0
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14755)EVGA-eGeForce-7900GT-KO-512MB-DDR3-Super.a spx
And you can even walk into pc world and pick up a 7800 agp card

dswissmiss

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
If you think about it, nvidia is really competing with itself. They can charge whatever they want now, but if they charge too much, people are going to stick with the old ones (same with XP and Vista). I guess their solution is to just phase out their old cards...I really hope ATI gets their sh** together soon.

Of the two links that worked neither was a 7900GT,GTX or GX2. :kaola:

There you go again. I never specified a GT or GTX or GX2,you did, same as you miss read the thread about the guy buying a 8600gt which you turned into a GTS.
But.
Aria stock a gx2 at the min and pc next day have a gtx i did post links but they failed.

Oh and as far as the links not working well they work ok for me as i checked after posting and actually deleted a couple that didnt. :) Like i just had to again

Yes, I did specify and maybe I should have specified shop shelves as well as I for one and indeed others I know do not feel comfortable with buying graphic cards online, and as for the 8600 cards be it a GT or GTS I think the ongoing consensus is that they are just not the best gaming cards for the money.

Firstly as i said already and you have agreed to i never specified any particular 7900 card you did and i proved to you that they do exist. You dont get to re specify what somebody else is talking about :non: and even then i proved the cards you were talking about are out there.Now you come along and start going on about shop shelves as you dont like buying on line :pfff:
The gt/gts thing has nothing to do with how good they are i was just pointing out that this isnt the first time i have seen you miss read or skew a thread :kaola:

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

You are going on about a misconception or misunderstanding. It´s not the the 7800/7900/7950 cards ceased to exist. They still do, but their prices didn´t get lowered significantly (with the exception of the 7900GS). The point i tried to make was that Nvidia stopps manufacturing the 8800 series once they release a new high end card since the new card replaces the old one. Most shops and even some card makes will still have some of the older cards/chips in storage and try to sell them, but prices won´t go down significantly since there will be no more supply.
While mousemonkey seems to have understood that and tried to point it out to you, you went of and keep talking about proving the existance of cards which is a long shot off the original argument. If you want to argument about unimportent details or mabye some misworded posts, that´s free for you to do. If you are unwilling to try to understand my argument or mousemonkeys, that´s alright too, just say so.

Thanks Slobogob and just to further that point if you want to buy online and granted some do would you pay £200 or $402.571 USD for a 256 MB 7900GTO? http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/668/87...s-Graphics-Card/Product.html?searchtype=genre [:mousemonkey:2] only if you wake up in the morning a truly believe that you are an onion methinks. [:mousemonkey:1]

Just my 2 cents: the new cards will use newer technologies (65 nm, I believe) which will reduce production costs. It would be better for nVidia from a business point of view to stop using the wasteful 90 nm process completely and focus on the new process. That is, instead of selling you a $200 8800 GTX that costs them $300 to make (or trying to sell it to you for $350), they will sell you a 65nm $200 9800GS that costs them $150 to make and still has about the same performance. Of course, I'm just inventing numbers and model names here, you get the idea.

Slobogob im really not trying to be funny here but the original post i made was in relation to what you posted and was just my opinion from a marketing point of view.
Then mouse monkey comes in and says that according to his one source they dont sell the cards i had mentioned
I posted links to where they were in fact in stock and available.
He gets nit picky about specifics of model which i never even mentioned
I respond and im wrong????
He went of topic in the first place,has not posted anything relevant to the ops question
Im gobsmacked where you got the idea he understands and was trying to point out what you said to me.
Please feel free and quote me back something relevant that he posted.
To the op im sorry about this but some people wont be wrong even when you provide evidence.
My opinion is my original post and i think the price will drop.
Mactronix

mactronix You have already proved from your own links that the price is unlikely to drop as the cards you linked to are selling now for pretty much the same price as they were being sold for last year. If you wish to buy yourself a copy of Custom PC issue 047 you could turn to page 92 & 93 and see for yourself in the column headed 'Typical Street Price (Inc VAT) that the 6800GT,7800GT, 7800GTX 256MB,7800GTX 512MB,7900GT,7900GTX and 7950GX2 are listed as 'No longer on sale' and as they have not to my knowledge been asked by Nvidia UK to retract the article I shall refer to it. If you wish to pay top dollar for old stock then that is your prerogative, but I still have yet to see these price drops that you think will or have happened.

I only used the 7900s as an example to illustrate my reasoning that the 8800s wouldn't be discontinued.
Where did i get 8800s from?
This is what slobogob posted.
A little maybe. As far as i understand the new card will replace the former high-end and nvidia will stop selling/producing those.
I extrapolated from "replace the former high-end" that the 8800s were what was meant.
Now i could be wrong only slobogob really knows what was actually meant.
You made a post about the unavailability of the 7900s which i have now posted enough info to prove to be erroneous please grow up and have enough class to stop banging on about something that nobody else was in fact talking about and just admit to yourself that your beloved magazine was wrong.
These things happen i have posted things i have gotten from other sites which have proved to be wrong.
Mactronix

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007

All anyone could do is guess, so here's mine:
No not untill pressure from competition forces prices down.

[:mousemonkey:2] Nine people on this thread seem to feel the same way about the lack of price drops and a couple appear to have seen the general lack of availability, So it looks like you are on your own my friend.