Setting up a file server

lukejwhite

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Hi,

Im need to set up a file server at work with a least some kind redundancy. I need to be at least 2TB in size and be expandable. I looked into a software RAID 5 array as it seems to give the best performance at the best price point. Things im unsure about are the include:
- Will a multi-core processor be an advantage? (Currently looking at Q6600)
- Will using Windows XP give a noticeable slow down compared to a linux/unix OS (There are only 6 users but a lot of data being transferred)
- How much RAM would be needed (I was currently thinking about 1-2GB with the XP OS)

Other ideas for a suitable good performing NAS are welcome providing the cost is not too high.

Also they wish to have a method a taking a copy of the data off site each night. I am looking at the possibility of external drives for this.

I would be greatly appreciative for any help on this matter

Luke White

bfg72

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Hi,

I would stick with 2GB if you're running XP (32bit).

I wouldn't run a software raid on a server either, work data would be much more critical than home useres, so I would get a hardware raid card (try 'Promise').

And I also think a Quad core would be a waste of money.

As for external back up, I would say that depends on the amount of data to back up.

If you're backing up more than 1GB, then CD is no good, unless you plan to stand there all night and change CDs when prompted.

Again, if it's more than 4/8GB then DVD is out, for the same reason.
I think most companies to this day still use some kind of tape-drive (Dat-Drive)

lukejwhite

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
There are only 4 users but there are another 3 largeformat print servers PC's acting as print servers running specific software unique to each printer. all the users often work on very large files upto 1GB TIF's somtimes even larger.