kokane187

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I got the pc last day and today I tried to set it up. I pushed on the start button but the button doesnt get back, it keeps holding it. How can I fix this, I connected everything but because the startbutton keeps holding it, I cant start the computer! Is the only option to send it back? Cause I opend my old computer and the start button is behind some
wall?! :pt1cable:

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Try to wiggle it out with a small screwdriver. Or probably you can get to it from behind? Anyway; if you can't get it out, you can still use the reset button as start button instead...

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
you can open the case, remove the front panel in which the button lies and give it a push from behind. Then you could use some lubrication like a little oil and try if it will stop it from jamming. Since its new case if that doesnt help, I would return it. If it wasnt new I would try to find the cause and remove it with a file (the tool).

kokane187

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007

No when I hit the reset button it does nothin. I will try to open it and fix it myself if I cant I will return it (will take up to 2 weeks thats why I want to try it myself first).

Yes, they can tell if you opened it. Sometimes the screws are sealed, sometimes they put a small piece of tape, but most companies DO have a security measure and can tell if you opened the case. Call the people first, and if they say to open it for trouble shooting, then you are okay.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Before calling I'd try sending an E Mail so you have something in writing. Given the general level (low) of tech support and customer service, I don't think trust is a good idea.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
In case of trouble emails have little or no legal value because it easy to falsify them. Some logs on email servers could help a little but thats out of your control. Then again better that then nothing.
Call and send an email. If on the phone they sey you cant open - send it back right away. If they say you can, wait for the email reply.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Recordings of phone calls can be faked, especially easy if you are dealing with 3rd world tech support that agree with anything you say.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
It's actually very simple. If it's sealed they won't let you open it. If it's not they won't know unless you mess around really badly. Just use some common sense.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you just bought the machine, i.e., didn't build it yourself, just call tech support and tell them the on/off button isn't working and ask them what to do. A lot of companies know have chat support, which is usually quicker and easier than a phone call, pretty much what jitpublisher said. You not only paid for assembly but also for some level of support. Who did you get the machine from?

kokane187

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
got it from rocketpc (From Germany) they had sold 7000+ pcs on ebay. I hope I dont need to send it to them cause that will take hell of a time I think about 2 weeks hmm (I live in the Netherlands). Oh well I will wait for their response cause I dont want to lose my garentee.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
also try twisting the button itself radially left and right until you find a spot where it will slip back out. Also if you do open the case you could either go the easy route and just unplug it from the mb and use the reset button or replace the button yourself- radio shack or any place that sells computer parts. good luck