The usual P35, 680i, DDR3, Quad Core, SLI, dilemma....

fireant

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I have been diligently researching my new system motherboard for a few days now.

There are a few fundamental questions still remaining for me.

Here are my requirements first of all.

It seem that Nvidia are winning the graphics card race at the moment so I have started by selecting the best graphics card ie: a GeForce 8800 GTX
When I am rich again and the prices of the cards have gone down I want to run a second one.
I normally play in 1600x1200 when I can, so I figure the second card will help .... right ?
Assuming this is the case then I have to go to a 608i chipset for SLI mode.

When I am not playing games I want to be able to run 3 screens also .. this means I need 2 graphics cards. So the SLI slot would be available for that too I guess. I could just run a cheap card in the second slot for now in non-SLI mode.

Am I making the right choice here .. should I just stick with the one card and update that card for the fastest one available in the future instead ?

If it's not the right choice then maybe I should just go with the P35 Chipset and a motherboard with 2 PCIe graphics slots and get the upgrade path to new processors and memory maybe ? ....
This is my preferred path BTW.
Should it be my preferred path ? Is the 680i chipset ok or is it a bit dated now that the P35 set is out ?

My processor of choice at the moment is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850. Basically because the graphics card is so expensive, I am not warren buffet, and I figure this is the sweet spot at the moment.

I would prefer a extreme or a quad but the quad 6600 which is around the same price as the is only going to be using 2 cores for most games and running slower too. The extreme is just too pricey at the moment.

Do you think I would notice the difference in say flight simulator X if I was running the top end card but had the slightly slower 6600 quad processor ?

I know that only a couple of games support quads at the moment (supreme commander is one) but more will surely follow. So I guess I would like to leave the option open for Quad processor support on the motherboard too.

Anyway .. your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I am off to sleep and dream on it .. my subconsious might work it out for me ... :pt1cable:

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
tbh at 1600x1200 a single 8800GTX should be enough.
nVidia have both new gfx cards & new chipsets planned for Autumn.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My suggestion would be to go with the P35, SLI will not really be needed at 1600x1200 with an 8800GTX unless you are running super mega awesome anti aliasing.

The second PCIex16x (runs at 4x) slot can be used for the 3rd screen and even a 4th later on.

I would stick with DDR2 for now, i dont like the idea of the combo boards (DDR2 & DDR3 support) as ddr3 is still expensive.

If you are not OC then the best CPU choice would be the 6850... OCing a Q6600 you would get some similar proformance to a 6850 in Dualcore gaming.