Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
case - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

ga p36 d3sp

q6600 go

2 gigs ram 8500 ballistic tracer

8800gts 640

pc power supply 750

what should i put first in the case power supply? then rest of the component?

Should i test out power supply first by pluging in the jack see if it works?

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
get the PSU in first. I have an Armor case and getting that PSU in first is critical because of that bar that encloses the PSU snuggly will be much hard to set in there if you have to reach into the case with the mobo and cpu heatsink in place. As for testing the PSU do it if you feel it's nessesary.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
It really doesn't matter unless you have to install the PSU from the inside then I would say PSU first. Some people like to install the CPU and HSF before installing the motherboard I do it the other way around. Just install and hook up everything and switch it on.

I like to install the CPU, Heatsink and RAM with the motherboard outside the case. You have to put some pressure on the board and I like the board on a flat hard surface to install these parts. Its also easier to get the heatsink on correctly, some of them can be a bear. Put the PSU in the case first.

I install in this order with a clean case....

PSU
Fans
Motherboard with CPU/HSF/RAM (or water blocks if applicable) already attached to board
Optical/Floppy Drives
Hard Drives
Graphics Card
Sound and other pci cards
All data and power cables

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Which wire are you talking about? There are many cables coming out the back of a PSU and they all have a different purpose. All the connectors are different and they all go in one way so it's pretty hard to mess things up. Are you talking about a modular PSU?

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I actually found it a LOT easier to install my mobo and stuff before the psu, if you don't those damn cables get in the way the whole time.

If a cable fits in a plug hole it is supposed to go there. unless it is a firewire slot (usually red) into a usb one (blue) or vice versa

:plug: :switch: :FIZZLE: :F@#$%^#@@:

If you bought an asus mobo they give you this cool little case switches and lights connector thingie which i think is awesome.