Sign in with
Your question

Delayed Write Failed - Seagate Barracuda

Last response: in Storage
October 17, 2007 8:02:07 PM

After searching many forums I have not found much help with my current situation. If anyone has any experience at all, I would greatly appreciate your two cents.

I have a Seagate Barracuda SATA 250gb HD that I just recently transfered my entire digital life onto. 2 weeks later I get a "Delayed Write Failed" message in my system tray and I haven't seen my HD since. Now when I startup my computer it just sits there and clicks.

The clicking sound is very constant - about 1 click ever 2 seconds - and it is definitely the HD making the noise. I have tried everything I know of to try to get XP to recognize it but so far, nothing. I have even tried plugging into different computers.

So that is where I currently sit. If anyone has any help they can offer please reply. Thank you for your time.
October 17, 2007 8:08:08 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like the drive is dead. I got a refurbished external 160GB Seagate 7200.7 for free because of a mixup with a mail-in rebate and it did something very similar after I'd had it for about a year. Thankfully I was just using it as a backup and to transfer files between computers so I didn't lose anything. Best of luck with that.

-mcg
October 17, 2007 9:08:39 PM

Thank you for your reply. That is what I was afraid of. I talked to seagate who told me it was still under warranty so they could send me a new replacement drive and if I want any data recovery it starts at $700...ugh. Now I have to live with the decision to the question, are my memories and docs worth $700.

Guess I'll start searching other data recovery options to see if there are any other cheaper alternatives. If anyone knows anything offhand, I'd appreciate a good referral. Thanks.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 17, 2007 9:09:34 PM

Yup, I had a 250 GB external HDD which died exactly like that, 1 click every other second or so. I hope you still have your photos elsewhere...

If not, try finding a data recovery service. I read somewhere recently about somebody who paid $100 and got back 95% of the data, for example.

Edit: I hadn't seen your reply above when I submitted this. $700 sounds horrible... There's got to be something more reasonable around.
October 17, 2007 10:39:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have the drive backed up at all. It was the back up while I reformatted my other drive.

Knowing someone that found success for $100 does give me some hope though. Any idea of the company that did it? I'm going to do some research later. Thanks guys.
October 17, 2007 10:55:33 PM

This may sound stupid but it has worked several times for me. Put it in the freezer for a while (up to 10 hours sometimes in a plastic bag). Often the drive will boot long enough to get a good swipe of data off of it before it dies again. You can try it more than once but usually once it dies this time it's gone (although i've done this three times in a row before). Doesn't always work for all problems but if you really can't afford data recovery at all (which can be found relatively cheaply now a days) then it's worth a shot. I've recovered lots of stuff this way, but you have to go in quick and get what you want right away as this only buys you a little time. Sounds like a myth but it really does work sometimes and shouldn't fry anything should it not work.
October 17, 2007 10:57:48 PM

yup had 2 seagates in a row die on me doing the exact same thing, turned out to be bad sectors, thank god for external backup!. Also I will never buy a seagate ever again, 4 drives failed in one year all warrantes of eachother. Have a WD now and life is good lol
!