Upgraded to 8800GTS & now have sound issues??

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Can anyone help?

I have recently upgraded from a Geforce 7800GS to a new 8800GTS (nothing else was changed) and now several of my games have sound issues.

I get a weird crackling/poping sound with Battlefield 2 (constant) and with Deus Ex (ok its an old game but still) I get crackling and distortion when I move the mouse.

I also play Oblivion and there is nothing wrong with it!

I currently use the 162.18 forceware drivers for XP but I have also tried older forceware drivers with no luck.

My system:

XP SP2, Direct x 9c, 162.18 forceware
E6600
Sparkle 8800GTS
2 Gig Corsair 665
Soundblaster Pro Live 5.1 (with latest drivers)

Please - any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
umm... you might have touched something without meaning to, while putting it in check that nothing is loose (aren't the elder scrolls games the ones that are renowned for sound driver issues?)

Make sure that everything is correctly seated, this includes both the cards (graphics and Sound) and your speaker connections. You may have bumped something on accident.

I just recently saw something similar happen to a person in my COD2 clan. They installed a PCI wireless card and their on-board sound started to crackle and hiss. Might be a driver conflict?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I think this could be an IRQ conflict problem. If there's the occasional blue screen when the two cards (vid and snd) are used extensively, it could be a cause. try resetting the CMOS.. good luck

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Many thanks for the reply's.

I have been searching on the web and seems like there maybe issues between 8800GTS and some sound cards so I am going to try removing my sound card tonight and trying the onboard one, will post up after that.

Unfortunately I have tried reseating all available cards but to no avail.

I have also had no blue screens what so ever.

Can tell this is going to be one of those annoying ones!

If anyone else has any ideas it would be much appreciated - thanks.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Just thought I'd add an update.

I removed my Soundblaster and enabled my onboard sound last night and all seems well!

BF2 is perfect, Deus Ex just has not great sound I think but it is an older game.

One weird thing though - at exactely the same time I got the sound issues I also had an issue with my mouse - i.e. even though I was only single clicking, the mouse would double click, it was very annoying.

After I removed the sound card last night however it has stopped doing this - any reasons for this or coincidence?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
ah, iv seen those happen on more than a few occasions and was gonna suggest removing ur sound card, but you have already done it :p

why this happens.....no idea :D
driver conflicts maybe?

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Don't believe it - the weird popping sound is back on BF2 again!

For no reason at all the popping sound came back again today - I have tried going in to dxdiag and turning sound acceleration down to "No acceleration" and this seems to cure it - as soon as I turn acceleration up again the popping sounds again.

Any explanation for this? Will this affect my games - as I can't hear any differences?

Thanks (also my mouse is still fine).

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
whn you say poping noise...is it more like a crackling sound at certain points??

I noticed that happed to my system even while using onboard sound with the latest audio drivers from realtek (AC97 codec), so I used the driver for a previous version and it worked just fine (forgot which one, and im not at home untill next week). Sooo, if you are using the same audio driver and codec, try using a slightly older version of it.