Sign in with
Your question

THE Q6600 G0 STEPPING (SLACR) THREAD: Where to shop/not to shop

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2007 12:43:36 PM

Post here if you know of a reputable retailer that guarantees G0 stepping.
Post if you know of a scam.

There seem to be some “reputable” retailers surfacing that will “guarantee” the G0 stepping despite their previous reluctance to do so. Let's hear about it.

August 4, 2007 1:49:01 PM

If you want G0 stepping, tell B3 stepping buyers to send their chips back to the stores. It's that simple. It's simple economics. If the B3 stepping is not selling, they will be reduced in price or not stocked at all.

Tankguys Computer Parts say they have G0 stepping. I was going to order there but I get a customs charge since I'm in Canada. Is the G0 stepping worth an extra $70 on top of the $300 price plus taxes?

I think that site should interest you. Hey, can I get my customs fees paid for by them for promoting and recommendations. ;-)
August 4, 2007 2:08:58 PM

Fry's Electronics does NOT have G0's. Atleast, the one in Irving, TX doesn't, but I'm sure the other stores don't either.
August 4, 2007 2:10:59 PM

1736706,2,135777 said:

Tankguys Computer Parts say they have G0 stepping. I was going to order there but I get a customs charge since I'm in Canada. Is the G0 stepping worth an extra $70 on top of the $300 price plus taxes?

quotemsg]

To my knowledge, this is a backorder. I’m not talking about companies that will hold your money until they get them. I could do that for you. I’m talking about availability---companies who actually have them in stock...or claim to.
August 4, 2007 4:32:55 PM

ClubIT clearly lists the Q6600 that they're selling for $295 (free ship) is the GO stepping version.

I dunno...looks like a GO to me. I gotta check their return policy and stuff like that, but I think I may jump.
August 4, 2007 8:05:01 PM

That sounds like the place to get it if you're in the U.S. But, they have no international shipping. What about other places that ship internationally or are based in Canada?

Or maybe we should wait until the supply of G0 stepping chips increase?
August 5, 2007 7:49:42 PM

I contacted Frys and they said:

"Dear valued Frys.com customer,

Thank you for contacting Frys.com.

We are sorry but because our current inventory is composed of more than
one shipment we cannot advise you with any degree of certainty which one
you would receive.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Larry B"
August 5, 2007 10:28:27 PM

I assure you that it does.
August 5, 2007 11:09:34 PM

Im not sure if it was just my luck but i got my Q6600 G0 stepping from Mwave on july 23 for 282 shipped. I can say that it was a piece of cake to overclock. Im running it at 2.93 on the stock cooler with stock voltage. All i did was up the fsb to 326 and BAM i now have a Q6800 for under 300 bucks. The cores temps at load with orthos are : 52, 53, 49 and 51 degrees. Now im not sure if all of Mwaves Q6600 are G0 but mine was :) 
August 6, 2007 12:04:27 AM

TankGuys sent out an email to all the people who pre-ordered the G0 Q6600s that they have 150 and will ship them on Monday. As well, they should have enough to fill the other 200 some pre-orders that were made.

Now I'm waiting to see if they actually ship it.

Considering, I should have ordered from ClubIt or somewhere else that has shipped them by now, I feel slightly cheated, but hey, i KNOW i'm getting one....

For anyone asking if the G0 is worth it........

If you're on air on a p35, I've seen 3.8ghz STABLE for this processor. Throw it on water and 4.0 is doable. Even 3.5 ghz will be insanely fast enough for anyone....

If you're not Ocing, buy any version if you need it asap.
August 6, 2007 12:11:38 AM

Ive researched and I still dont know what all this G0 Step is.

Is it like a modder of the CPU, like having a Foxconn 8800GTS or a BFG 8800GTS?

From what Ive read I gather its just the same CPU that runs cooler
August 6, 2007 12:15:41 AM

I bought one from clubit.com about a week ago. G0 stepping like they claimed. 'cept now it's 295 while I got mine for 286. :)  imo clubit is better than newegg, if you don't mind slower shipping (up to 7 days shipping)
August 6, 2007 12:19:46 AM

alabama619 said:

G0 stepping is more efficient than the older B3 stepping. G0 can take up to 95 watts while the B3 can take up to 105 watts. Lower watt intake = cooler which also = higher clock speeds. The old B3 on air can get you to 3.2 GHz, however the G0 stepping can get you to 3.4, maybe 3.6 on air.
August 6, 2007 12:31:26 AM

genored said:
sry but i'm a bit noob but i don't think the q6600 has G0 stepping http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_20... g

alabama619 said:

Genored and Alabama,

Here are the specs for both the B3 and the G0 version changes (empty fields indicate no change):

Note: I don't have time to format this correctly but hopefully you can make sense of it.
-------------------
START EDIT:>>>
-------------------
Sorry, I was in a hurry when posting this and had to run. This might be easier to read...or not---we'll see.

Anyway, I noticed a post below asking how to tell what the venders are selling. I've only been to one site so far that didn't have enough information to tell which stepping they were selling; just refer to the designations below.

I think another post alluded to Newegg not identifying the stepping one way or the other. I've heard reports of them selling both but the only one you can hold them to is the one listed in the manufacturer's product link and that is currently the SL9UM.

Go here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Then scroll down and click on the "Manufacturer Info" tab.
Hover your pointer over the "Manufacturer Product Page" and you'll see a link on you task bar. At this time, the end of the URL reads SL9UM (B-3).

And finally, here is what I've attempted to fix. If I botched it up then it will have to stay that way since each edit gets more difficult to backtrack and fix (I don't know if I'm the only one who experiences this or not).

Stepping-->-->-->-->-----B3-----------------G0
============================ =====
=================================
sSpec Number:*********SL9UM**********SLACR
CPU Speed:-----------------2.40 GHz
PCG:******************05B************05A
Bus Speed:-----------------1066 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio:-------------9.0
L2 Cache Size:--------------8 MB
L2 Cache Speed:------------2.4 GHz
Package Type:---------------LGA775
Manufacturing Technology:-65 nm
Core Stepping:**********B3************ G0
CPUID String:***********06F7h*********06FBh
Thermal Design Power:****105W*********95W
Thermal Specification:*****62.2°C********71°C
Core Voltage:---------------1.100V-1.372V
----------------
<<<END EDIT
----------------
If Intel’s Product Notification comes back online again you can read about it here:
http://intel.pcnalert.com/content/eolpcn/PCN107463-00.p...

Here is a brief article on the change:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31822/135/

Hope that helps.
August 6, 2007 12:38:09 AM

Oh and I noticed something...it's G"0" a zero not G"O" that spells "go". Makes me think GO is some special edition of a processor or something...
August 6, 2007 3:11:58 AM

GO Go
g0 or is it G0?

if you go with a big seller and wait a few weeks u get what u want!

anyone that guarantees it, will no doubt charge $100 more

they sell the chips at cost - like they are going to pick one out for u!

August 6, 2007 11:23:42 AM

Go stepping quad is now advertised separately at scan.co.uk..........
IT says "pre-order...awaiting ETA from manufacturer".....

........but at least you know what your getting !!

OH and its cheaper than the B3 !!!!
smudgee
August 6, 2007 3:40:50 PM

ClubIT has it on their site they are shipping G0 SLACR Q6600's.

I ordered yesterday, 8/4, and will now wait the long shipping time from Fedex. If it gets shipped today, I may have it by next weekend.

I'll stop back in and let you guys know if/when I get it and if it is truely a SLACR..
August 6, 2007 9:38:06 PM

I ordered mine on the 4th as well. They are evidently closed saturday and sunday, as they just finally acknowledge my order about an hour ago. As of right now my order status has just gone from "Pending for Approval" to "Pending for Shipment". I'll post when I get the actual items and let folks know if the Q status is a GO.
August 7, 2007 4:39:09 AM

gooman said:
I ordered mine on the 4th as well. They are evidently closed saturday and sunday, as they just finally acknowledge my order about an hour ago. As of right now my order status has just gone from "Pending for Approval" to "Pending for Shipment". I'll post when I get the actual items and let folks know if the Q status is a GO.

Hey gooman any update on your order? I ordered mine the 4th too and mine is still at "Pending for shipment". I paid for 2 day delivery, you would think they would be able to ship it out that first day they are open.../shrug. I just hope they didn't sell more then they had, they keep going in and out of stock on the website.
August 7, 2007 4:08:14 PM

Abrahm said:
Hey gooman any update on your order? I ordered mine the 4th too and mine is still at "Pending for shipment". I paid for 2 day delivery, you would think they would be able to ship it out that first day they are open.../shrug. I just hope they didn't sell more then they had, they keep going in and out of stock on the website.

Just checked ClubIT now and it still says "Pending for Shipment" :cry:  . When's it coming When's it coming :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :pt1cable:  :love:  :hello:  :sol: 
August 7, 2007 4:30:40 PM

gooman said:
Just checked ClubIT now and it still says "Pending for Shipment" :cry:  . When's it coming When's it coming :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :pt1cable:  :love:  :hello:  :sol: 

Bahh.. ordered mine the 5th and it is still pending approval.

Tried calling the 877 number and got their voicemail box was full.

Makes me wonder about ClubIT. Never bought from them before and now they don't answer their phone, nor the email I sent, so far.

Anyone bought anything from them and actually received it?
August 7, 2007 5:08:14 PM

I also ordered the Q6600 from ClubIT. My order is pending for shipping. I got my first e-mails from them, after creating an account and ordering on the 5th, on the 6th (Monday) around 12:30 their time (PST). I couldn't believe even my account creation e-mail took that long to be processed. Every other site I go to sends out a account registered e-mail within minutes (business day or not). My order from MWAVE on the same day (5th) was sent off for shipping 2 hours earlier and they are also on the Pacific coast.

So far I haven't been very impressed with ClubIT. I guess I should have grown suspicious when it took 15 minutes to process my order after I hit the SUBMIT button. I hope they do answer the phones...because that's how they require you to cancel your order. I may go ahead and call my CC company to refuse payment on my order and move on to another vendor. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge pain.
August 7, 2007 5:51:15 PM

I placed an order with clubit on friday. I didn't receive an email with my invoice or order. This is the first time I purchase from them also. I was able to check my order on their website. I notice that from Friday-Monday it was pending shipment. Finally, yesterday I notice the Fedex shipping tracking number. I was able to track my shipment and it's on it ways!! I will post when I get the actuallly box which will take a few days here in the southern east coast.
August 7, 2007 6:54:38 PM

Nightowl0707 said:
Post here if you know of a reputable retailer that guarantees G0 stepping.
Post if you know of a scam.

There seem to be some %u201Creputable%u201D retailers surfacing that will %u201Cguarantee%u201D the G0 stepping despite their previous reluctance to do so. Let's hear about it.

ClubIT: I got their promo email - guaranteed. They are very reputable- I bought my DS3 mainboard from Clubit - they delivered at the best price, on time and as specified:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor Retail BX80562Q6600 SLACR

Note: Seems they are out of stock - but you can call on their 800 # (US) - so check them out.
August 7, 2007 10:30:35 PM

Jake_Barnes said:
ClubIT: I got their promo email - guaranteed. They are very reputable- I bought my DS3 mainboard from Clubit - they delivered at the best price, on time and as specified:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor Retail BX80562Q6600 SLACR

Note: Seems they are out of stock - but you can call on their 800 # (US) - so check them out.

Well I bought it on the 4th when it was "In stock" and I also paid $20 for 2 day shipping, if the product I bought that was in stock when I bought it and I paid extra for shipping for is no longer available, I will be pretty upset. If it's out of stock don't keep accepting people's money for it.

Vixer03, when did you notice that it was updated with your tracking number? I'm thinking they most likely ship stuff off at the end of the day, but its already 3:30 there and mine is still "Pending for shipment"

Ughhh I'm frustrated
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2007 10:50:37 PM

Abrahm said:
Well I bought it on the 4th when it was "In stock" and I also paid $20 for 2 day shipping, if the product I bought that was in stock when I bought it and I paid extra for shipping for is no longer available, I will be pretty upset. If it's out of stock don't keep accepting people's money for it.

Vixer03, when did you notice that it was updated with your tracking number? I'm thinking they most likely ship stuff off at the end of the day, but its already 3:30 there and mine is still "Pending for shipment"

Ughhh I'm frustrated

Ahhh but which two days did you pay for?
August 7, 2007 11:41:21 PM

Abrahm said:

Ughhh I'm frustrated

I've bought two items (including my DS3 board) from them, and they were stright up with me. Seems this G0 stepping quad is hot, and lots of people are anxious to get their hands on it - so it doesn't surprise me that some etailers websites are out of sync with their warehouses. I'll wait the week or two - when things are pretty assured at 3 or 4 shops (Egg, ZZF, etc) then order. Till then, I have cold beer. :lol: 
August 7, 2007 11:42:39 PM

Well I just called their customer service to find out about my order. The guy told me that they have had a large amount of orders come through lately and are shipping them first come first serve. He told me they were not able to ship my order out for me today, but will most likely ship it out tomorrow. He also said that they definitely have a processor in stock for me and reserved for my order, it is merely a shipping back up and has nothing to do with the product being out of stock. Makes me feel a little better, hopefully he's right. Just thought some of you in the same position would like to know.
August 8, 2007 12:55:56 PM

I actually didn't know until I check the order details and I notice Tracking information on the account information. I would say it was late in the afternoon. I'm looking at my tracking information and it was shipped on Friday 3rd, when i made the order. I just check the order just now and I was able to view the tracking progress. The package is coming within a day or so.
August 8, 2007 1:16:03 PM

ClubIT seems OK. I am back to give an update on my situation with them.

Seems my Pending Approval was because my CC issuer didn't update their system with my new address. I used a different CC with my new address and went to Shipment Pending.

I'll give them till this afternoon when I get off work, then yeah, I am going to call again. Their Custome service seems more than happy to help you out and they seem to understand your nervousness about your online order.

I can see them being backed up on Orders. Guaranteeing G0 Q6600's I am sure they got more orders than they expected, especially at $295, which is cheaper than most who just offer you whatever they have.

I'll update my experience till i get my shipment. I'll say that so far things have gone well, but it isn't over yet, I still have not received what I ordered. So I'll keep you posted.
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2007 1:19:50 PM

Synthetickiller said:

If you're on air on a p35, I've seen 3.8ghz STABLE for this processor. Throw it on water and 4.0 is doable. Even 3.5 ghz will be insanely fast enough for anyone....

4.02GHz...
August 8, 2007 1:19:57 PM

1737369,34,122504 said:
how do you know if the chips have G0 stepping?

I was looking at this one on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...[/quotems g]

Honestly if they don't have it listed as G0, you need to contact them and ask. They are most likely going to say they don't know or they can't guarantee G0. It is a 50/50 crap shoot on you getting one.

Thus the best way to know for sure is look at the CPU specifications and look for the Stepping, either B3 or G0 or the thermal specification anything over 95W is the B3 stepping.

That is what I looked for when looking for a G0 Q6600.

ClubIT guarantees the G0 and says so on their website.
August 8, 2007 1:22:14 PM

Ordered mine on the 4th. Still says "Pending for Shipping" in the order detail section. I don't know what their deal is, but they need to get their email notifications out so folks know what's going on with their orders. I'm kinda in the dark and that is not how most reputable eTailers work. I've ordered tons of stuff over the internet and have almost always been impressed with the email notifications and response I get. I ordered an Ipod once, 3 days before Christmas; had it engraved and delivered to my home in 2 days (I was able to track it continuously from the factory in China to my doorstep). ClubIT needs to fix their messed up internet store IMO.

I guess I'll have to give them a call.
August 8, 2007 6:21:36 PM

I'm a bit annoyed. I ordered my Q6600 from Mwave on Thursday last week. It shipped out Friday. Got it today and it's a PCG 05B (B3 stepping). They were out of stock for about a week before I ordered.

So Intel must still have B3 chips in a warehouse they're sending out for new orders.
August 8, 2007 6:36:48 PM

One thing I still can't figure out is if I go to a retail store, and look at the box (in the case of Retail version) or at the actual CPU (in the case of the OEM version), how can I tell if it is G0 or B3.

Sorry if it has already been posted, but after searching I still cant find it.
August 8, 2007 7:08:58 PM

SpeedyVV said:
One thing I still can't figure out is if I go to a retail store, and look at the box (in the case of Retail version) or at the actual CPU (in the case of the OEM version), how can I tell if it is G0 or B3.

The processor is stamped with the info on it. It will read SLACR or SL9UM. It's also printed on the box ie. BX80562Q6600SLACR (the product code and sSpec #).
August 8, 2007 8:11:09 PM

Well, ClubIT came through. They were advertising the Q6600 SLACR last Friday so I checked them out, read through their policies and ordered that evening with two day FedEx shipping. I was sent the tracking number Monday evening and the processor was just delivered a short while ago.

Just letting everyone know that ClubIT delivered as promised and I hope everyone else who ordered gets their processor in a timely manner. I don’t expect there is any need to be concerned over which stepping you’ll receive.

I do have a problem with being left in the dark all weekend and having to contact them--instead of the other way around--but I’ll reserve judgment for now as it’s possible there may have been some sort of glitch in their system.

But anyway…time to take this thing out of its packaging.
August 8, 2007 8:11:42 PM

nh484000 said:
Im not sure if it was just my luck but i got my Q6600 G0 stepping from Mwave on july 23 for 282 shipped. I can say that it was a piece of cake to overclock. Im running it at 2.93 on the stock cooler with stock voltage. All i did was up the fsb to 326 and BAM i now have a Q6800 for under 300 bucks. The cores temps at load with orthos are : 52, 53, 49 and 51 degrees. Now im not sure if all of Mwaves Q6600 are G0 but mine was :) 

lol you bastage. I ordered mine on Jul 24, and it is not G0, and it IDLES at 52-55 in the cores. Bios reads nice and cool 29C idle though, for whatever that's worth.
August 8, 2007 9:39:58 PM

SpeedyVV said:

B3 Stepping: BX80562Q6600SL9UM
G0 Stepping: BX80562Q6600SLACR

...you look at the sSpec number (bold, above) which should be listed on the outside of the box.
August 8, 2007 11:12:36 PM

My saga continues.

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch......I ordered the Q6600 (GO) from ClubIT on the 4th. It hasn't shiped yet, but at least they responded to an Email inquiry. I was supposed to get free shipping on the chip, but not the Mobo I ordered. I pointed this out and they took all shipping charges out of it and gave me a 1 cent discount. Alright...I got a discount even....WOoohOooo!!!

This is what they sent for an Email:

"We apologize about the delay in processing your order. We received a large number of orders and we are still working on processing them. We are confident that we should be able to process all remaining Q6600 orders today. The shipping charge has been removed from your order.

Best regards, "

So far so good.... It hasn't shipped yet, they have 29 minutes to ship....
August 8, 2007 11:36:54 PM

gooman,

You'll get further by talking to their reps than trading emails and it's much less frustrating. It's no doubt too late to call them now but I'd suggest giving them a call first thing in the morning if you don't have a tracking number by then. I think you'll find the reps very accommodating.
August 9, 2007 12:23:56 AM

SpeedyVV said:

The last four digits in the product number will be SLACR for the G0 stepping and SL9UM for the B3 stepping. Look for either of those to tell you.

EDIT: lol way late on that one

gooman, today my order was updated to "Order Completed" on their site but no tracking number was given. I called them up and asked about it and the guy told me (after looking up my order) that the package was invoiced and ready to be shipped, just waiting for Fedex to come and pick it up, which would probably be around 6:30 PST. He said the tracking number would then be emailed out.

I agree with the above person who said their customer service representatives seem very friendly and glad to help you. Even though the package has taken longer to ship then I expected, thus far they have gained points back from me with there service. I'll update everyone and see what happens.
August 9, 2007 2:32:15 AM

Just got an Email that my order has been shipped Fedex....excellent. For some reason, they don't have a tracking number yet, but I suppose its better than a kick in the balls. Hopefully I'll get it by this weekend.

Woohoo
August 9, 2007 2:48:49 AM

gooman said:
Just got an Email that my order has been shipped Fedex....excellent. For some reason, they don't have a tracking number yet, but I suppose its better than a kick in the balls. Hopefully I'll get it by this weekend.

Woohoo

That's normal. You should receive a tracking number within 24 hours. Sounds like they were being straight up with you and you'll soon have it. :bounce: 
August 9, 2007 6:49:58 AM

I too got an email from ClubIT stating that my order has been shipped. But no tracking number.

It did however say this in the email they sent me.

Quote:
"The tracking number for this shipment is currently unavailable. This information should
be available to you on your order history page within a day. You can contact sales@clubit.com
for more information regarding your shipment. "

"(Please allow up to 12 hours for this information to be updated into our shipping carrier’s tracking system
once it is picked up) "

I just checked their website (8-9-07 @ 12:45am MST) and found my tracking number there. Its says FedEx has picked up my order. Sad part is, I payed for the 3 day shipping service which means I might not get my processor before the weekend. :(  But hopefully by Friday.
!