icex

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
hey,

There's 2 differnt kinds of things i want to ask in relation to the motherboard (i use a ga-p35-dq6) i/o shield. Firstly, there's a piece of steel covering part where the LAN port would be which is bendable, should ic ut it off or bend it outwards from the case ..or inwards even?

also there is those 2 metal pieces partly sticking out of the back of each part of the i/o shield which seems like they might block the motherboard if i put it next to them. Am i suposed to bend them straight facing backwards or something or just leave them like they are? (kinda similar but differnet to http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/144/images/6ioshield.JPG (sinec i cant find a good pic for my own one) with all that stuff sticking out but i dont know what im sposd to do about it.

thx

If a part of the shield is blocking a port, it should have a stamped piece that you can pop out. All the little fingers sticking out are designed to hold a little pressure against the back of the IO shield when you positon the motherboard, so it doens't try to pop back out of the mounting hole and fall backwards into the case against the motherboard. In other words, put the shield in first from the inside of the case, then mount the motherboard carefully aligning all the ports to the holes, making sure everything lines up with the holes in the shield, apply a little pressure with the motherboard against the back of the sheild pressing against all the little fingers until your holes line up on the motherboard to insert the screws, hold the board in place with one hand whilst you snug a couple of screws down to hold everything in place.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sometimes it's tough to get everything exactly lined up. When you start screwing down the mobo don't tighten the screws until all the screws on in and then tighten them. Also I usually alternate the screws putting in a screw in the a top hole then the next at the botton on the other side, diagonally across from it, and work back and forth from there. This makes it easier to line up the board and the plate.

icex

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
ah thanks, but now there's a big problem is now the motherboard screw holes isn't completely or evenly alligned with the spacer holes, by a very tiny amount which stops the screws from being able to go through, this is because those things sticking out of the i/o shield back panel wont be pushed further enough to allow the mohteboard to press against it, what should i do now i don't want to have to cut those 2 things sticking out of every port section of the panel, and by the looks of it i wasn't supposed to bend them facing 90 degrees out either

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Like jitpublisher said, install the shield first (and don't bend those things sticking out). Install the motherboard and apply pressure until you see the screw holes on the motherboard lining up with the case holes. Everyone who installs a motherboard experiences this situation. The holes will line up.

icex

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
the problem is though is that the left side of the motherboard (when the case is lying down on its side) is directly on top of the spacer holes and the middle is just about too but and the otherboard ports are already in the shield basically but the right side of the motherboard still wont push forward any further which is making the motherboards placement uneven and the right sides holes were not lining up, even after applying a lot of pressure, I guess i'll have to retry it though. Also the i/o shields thigns sticking out are partly attached to the motherboard now since the ports were almost completly even with the i/o shield so it's a bit hard to temporarily take it off so i can put it back in properly.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
First if the i/o shield is not properly in the case, take the board out and put the shield in properly. Second, you can move the tabs on the i/o shield out perpendicular to the case. The i/o shield should be inserted from the inside of the case. It's best to alternate the side and top/bottom when putting in the screws starting with the side where the mobo fits properly into the shield. For example, if it fits on the left side, you first screw should be on the lower left but again do not tighten it all the way down. This will prevent the left side from popping out when pushing in the right side of the board. Again as everyone says, everyone runs into this. As long as you're using your hands to put pressure on the board, you should not have to worry about breaking it. Never forget the first rule of building, never use a hammer to make something fit. :)

NO, you were not supposed to bend them sticking 90 degrees out. They should be just very slightly facing inwards, just very, very slightly, or even flat. Like we have been saying, they are just there to provide a LITTLE bit of pressure against the installed board to ensure the sheild does not try to fall back out inside the case. The ones next to the lan ports can be a pain, I know what you mean by them hitting the side of the port and being tough to make everything line up. If you leave them as is, they block the port, if you bend them inwards, you have a tough time getting the board lined up. If those 2 particular ones give me any trouble, I usually just cut them off flush with the sheild.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Just my experience, bent them out when necessary and never had a problem, maybe just lucky

TRENDING THREADS