Sign in with
Your question

Best way to transfew data between 2 computers?

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2007 7:05:14 AM

I have 2 computers at home right now. I used to keep one of them at work. I have media from iTunes on both computers and want to sync them so that they both have all the media from each computer. Any suggestions? Also there are programs and games I'd like to have on both computers. Basically just looking for the easiest way to make each computer have the same media and programs. I'd appreciate any help/suggestions out there.
October 19, 2007 7:57:26 AM

If your high speed modem have more than one ethernet port on it buy another ethernet cable and run home office wizard and turn on file sharing. If not buy a switch.
Related resources
October 21, 2007 8:28:18 PM

Thanks for the help... I'll try running the file sharing with the home office wizard. If that doesn't work I'm getting the crossover cable :) 
October 21, 2007 9:10:37 PM

setting up a home network is pretty straight forward.
October 21, 2007 9:42:06 PM

you'll be able to transfer the media, but you can't transfer programs using traditional means. you'll have to install the programs on the second computer.
October 21, 2007 9:51:04 PM

There are also USB 2.0 data exchange cables, and in some rare cases, when absolutely properly shielded, they beat Gigabit Ethernet in terms of speed, with medium sized files (where it counts ;)  )
October 21, 2007 9:59:41 PM

Ilander said:
There are also USB 2.0 data exchange cables, and in some rare cases, when absolutely properly shielded, they beat Gigabit Ethernet in terms of speed, with medium sized files (where it counts ;)  )

that is absolutely not true...
usb is pretty inneficient when it comes to file transfers.
October 21, 2007 10:46:16 PM

The Data Drive Thru Cable Tornado, reviewed in November's Maximum PC mag...

"We copied about 4.2 GB of data...in 3:28.... Using a crossover cable...the same transfer took an additional minute."

Both machines had Gigabit ethernet.

DDT claims it's because USB 2.0 cables (mostly) don't meet the shielding requirements.

Don't claim it's not ture because you haven't heard about it... :) 

...but, the cable DOES cost $60. Probably not worth it, but who knows, if speed is important, and you're transferring 250GB of medium-sized files, it might just be.
October 22, 2007 9:01:34 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. It really helps :) 
October 22, 2007 9:51:44 PM

straight file transfer using windows to copy is slow regardless of the connection. its very ineffecient. some software packages will be able to speed that up by striping out all the overhead transmitted over the e-net cable or usb or firewire, what have ya, by doing that mundane housekeeping crap on the local machines. Thereby freeing up the bandwidth for what really counts, the data transfer.
!