August 4, 2007 8:56:31 PM

hey
i am new to the forum
although i do check the posts from time to time

i will build a new pc for new upcomng games - UT3 and Crysis
i don't wanna go total high end coz that ain't worth the money i think

but if you have any suggestions i would really like to know

here goes :

CPU : intel Core E6700 ( i think this is best price/ quali )
Mobo : Asus P5K Deluxe
rams : DDR 2 - 800 : 4 gb ( seems to be best for vista ) OCZ 2x2Gb OCZ2G8004GK
if anyone has adjustements in brand and/or type please let me know
gfx : ati 2900 xt - i think it's a smarter choice then the 8800GTS - price better then the GTX .. so ...
i am not sure for crossfire ..
HD: WD - Caviar RE2 WD5000YS - 500 gig's - prolly 3 of em
Soundcard : Xf-i - not sure wich type - maybe fatality FPS version ( got medusa 5.1 Headset )
psu : enermax 600 eg701ax ( my latest broke so want to have a good one )
case : antex P180 - seems good and practical
screen : samsung 940 BF - i heared 19 inch is best for FPS coz of native resolution
maybe 960 Bf
mouse is gonna be MX 518 or G5 - don't like razor
then 1 or 2 DVD writers

this should be it i think

my goal was to have good parts for gaming - but can be upgraded if needed
if anyone has any suggestions or tips

please let me know

thx in advance :) 

More about : build change

August 4, 2007 8:59:20 PM

What is your budget?
August 4, 2007 9:03:05 PM

it should be around 2000 - 2500 euro
why ? :) 

greetz
Related resources
August 4, 2007 9:10:57 PM

Just trying to recommend the best for the money.
That is a ton of money, you should go with the GTX and a quad core.

Antec 180P
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Q6600
4 GB of any DDR2 800 5-5-5-12 ram
Corsair 620HX
Seagate 500GBx2
X-fi XtremeGamer or XtremeMusic (if you can still find it)
EVGA 8800 GTX (for their step up program)

LG L226WTY-BF or LG L226WTX-BF

if you can't find it get Samsung 226BW

That should be 1300 euro or so.

Good luck.

August 4, 2007 9:26:42 PM

why the gigabyte ? ( some peops don't like the brand .. )
Q6600 is it alot faster then E6700 ? - to expensive to buy Q6700 then ?
don't really like seagate - they used to be more noisy and broke down faster .. dno about them now ..

Gtx really worth the price ?

usually FPS is played in low details coz u can see enemy's better (in competition) and low explosion's and stuff
that 's why i was goiing for ati2900xt

although high detail is more fun :) 

thx for advice allready .. :) 

greetz
August 4, 2007 9:45:51 PM

The Gigabyte boards with 945, 965 and P35 chipsets are very solid, I can't say anything about the rest because I've never used any but the ones listed above. You can read the P35-DS3R customer reviews here:
http://tinyurl.com/2xnujs

Since you mentioned Crysis and UT3, GTX is highly recommended, if you want to play on high settings that is, I'm sure you do :)  For FPS you can always bring the settings down if you wish.
E6700 isn't worth it because there is E6750 for $100USD less which is faster.
Q6700 isn't worth the extra $280USD because it's only 266Mhz faster (Q6600 is 2.4Ghz Q6700 is 2.66Ghz), you can overclock your Q6600 to that speed with the stock cooler without any real difference in temperatures easily.

Good luck.

August 4, 2007 10:23:19 PM

Dior said:

Antec 180P
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Q6600
4 GB of any DDR2 800 5-5-5-12 ram
Corsair 620HX
Seagate 500GBx2
X-fi XtremeGamer or XtremeMusic (if you can still find it)
EVGA 8800 GTX (for their step up program)

LG L226WTY-BF or LG L226WTX-BF

if you can't find it get Samsung 226BW

That should be 1300 euro or so.

Good luck.

Excellent list.

You can also get WD disks instead of Seagate, BFG or XFX instead of eVGA, etc., P182 instead of P180, if it saves a couple of bucks at your local store. I wanted Seagate but ended up with WD because they were on sale. They're just fine.

Not sure why you'd want two DVD drives, one is enough.

I read somewhere that ExtremeMusic has higher quality parts than ExtremeGamer. Not sure if it makes a difference but I got the ExtremeMusic anyway :lol: 
August 5, 2007 7:24:41 AM

2 dvd drive's is easy at times - for copying
or just easy for lazy peops :p  hehe

dno much about the screens - are they fast enough for fps ?
i read that beneath 8ms our own eyes are the problem - but there are alot of screens that say they are beneath 8ms but still "lag"
not only g-g matters ..

greetz
August 5, 2007 4:07:38 PM

If you're mostly playing shooter games then you want a CRT monitor. Second choice would be a LCD with 2 ms response time. Third choice 5 ms. I think 8 ms is OK for a lot of people, but there are some who aren't happy with those. Can't really say, I only have an LCD with 5 ms and it's fine.

You also need to look at the refresh rate. A good CRT may have 85 Hz or 100 Hz, i.e. with a great card you get 85 or 100 fps. The typical LCD has only 60 Hz. Most people won't notice a difference between 60 fps and 200 fps or whatever, but some say they do.
August 5, 2007 7:14:53 PM

Dior said:

Seconded - the GTX is a better card than the 2900XT and if you're spending so much money and are going to use the PC for high-end gaming it makes sense to spend a lot on the graphics card.
August 5, 2007 8:00:13 PM

I would recommend against a CRT. They're too big and bulky, and I think with a good response time that LCDs are great for gaming.
August 6, 2007 9:05:02 PM

well idd a crt is best - but hard to find a really good one
so i will go for LCD
got one question doh
the system u recommended

if u would change anything - what would u recommend to improve on first ? better Ram ? - Raptor as main Hd ? something else ?

not that i need to spend my money :) 

btw the xfi's - are the small versions yes ? is there a quality diff in sound ? compared to the big ones
would anyone suggest the razor HS + soundcard or is that just a waste ?

thx again for aid :) 

greetz
August 6, 2007 9:23:20 PM

4 GB of DDR2-800 is plenty, so I wouldn't spend more there.

Raptors would cost a lot and make noise, so I wouldn't do that either.

The video card is already 8800 GTX. Improving it would mean SLI or Ultra, both bad ideas. Maybe get an eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3, it's more expensive but faster. This is not a good value for money idea though.

I think your best bet, if you have money lying around crying to be spent, is to get a bigger monitor. Something like 24" 1920x1200, to make that GTX work hard for a change... With a 2 ms or 5 ms response time it should be just fine for games.

The X-Fi does make a difference in sound compared to, say, an Audigy. If you got good ears and good speakers, that is. I'll get myself some Logitech Z-5500 speakers at the next paycheck :lol: 

I read soem reviews about the Razer card and headphones. Nice toys, but I'd rather use speakers. It depends. If you live with somebody who prefers you to use headphones then yeah, it's a very good idea IMO.
August 6, 2007 9:32:04 PM

well i think the screens you proposed first where big enough :) 

just that i looked at alot of reviews ( not every day but still .. )
and i chose the budget and the parts based on those
so dno hehe i think i am a bit amazed at the price :) 

well normally i will get lucky buying the parts coz i know some good places so i dno if there where things i could improve on
just for the extra of it - i would keep it in mind

evga really that good ?
i thought xfx or calibre where bit faster .

any favs in rams ? OCZ or mushkin . geil ? :) 

greetz

August 6, 2007 10:03:10 PM

It depends on the level of factory overclocking. Cards like eVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS3 or BFG 8800 GTX OC2 do best in benchmarks because they are factory overclocked to ridiculous levels. Apart from that, they also cost more because they have better coolers than your regular GTX card.

XFX is a good company. I'm just not aware of any massively overclocked version from them, but I'm sure they'll have one if they don't already.

Calibre is a bit weird. I read a review about Sparkle Calibre 8800 GTX and decided I didn't want it. It uses a fancy TEC cooler, which keeps the card itself cool, but that on the whole leads to consuming more power, making more noise, and dissipating more heat in the case. The price was also higher than other versions. I appreciate that they have new ideas and try new things, that's how we make progress, but this particular idea didn't work so well for me...

eVGA, BFG and XFX have good warranties and customer service, as far as I know. That's also a good reason to pick one of them. Don't particularly fancy Asus or PNY from this point of view.

OCZ makes great RAM, based on my experience. There are people here who know a lot more on this subject, let's see what they say.
August 6, 2007 10:48:53 PM

As far as the graphics card, just look at the package you are getting - price, warranty, games included + any factory overclock and weigh it up against what you are looking for

Personally I usually buy the cheapest brand for the model I'm looking for and overclock that. I've never had any problems. My current card is an ATI-branded card and it overclocks very nicely.

Like aevm I have looked at the Calibre cards but they are more expensive and the cooler card didn't translate into any more overclock potential or less noise in the reviews I read at the time.
August 7, 2007 5:41:40 AM

ok - thx for the answers given
gonna check it all out a bit more
i am waiting for the ut 3 demo when it comes out i am gonna buy the parts i need hehe - should be in about max 1 month i think

thx alot guys

greetz
!