Sign in with
Your question

What are the benefits of SLI 8800GTX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2007 3:26:33 PM

If you look at my user signature, you will see everything I run in my latest PC build. I do gaming, so I already know that SLI will help, but what would I actually notice from 2x8800GTX's?

I've done a vast amount of custom building and all kinds of gaming, and I understand that I would have twice the graphics processors, etc etc.....

I'm not a beginner, so please explain to me what I would benefit from, or would it not even be worth doing? You can speak technical to me.

More about : benefits sli 8800gtx

August 13, 2007 3:56:36 PM

I've come to the conclusion that current games wont benefit unless you have 24'' WS and above monitor.
But after reading a few test\reviews on upcoming games, I think running 8800gtx in SLI will be needed for good visual settings.
It all depends on what size monitor you have and what visual settings you desire.
If a year old "Oblivion" maxed out settings can give an 8800gtx a work out,imagine next generation games
August 13, 2007 4:01:19 PM

You get more fps in your games :)  Kind of needed if you want to play on resolutions of 1080p or higher with high settings. I just don't like playing at 30fps occasionally dipping on the low 20s, gotta play on 45~50 or higher :p 

Drawback is that it can be a painful thing to setup if you don't know what you're doing. But since you already have a big *** display... well you need it.

And honestly, way more important than the size of the screen is the resolution, even though big screens (24" and up) are usually made with big native resolutions, you shouldn't really talk in screen size, especially if he doesn't mind getting technical.
Related resources
August 13, 2007 4:24:54 PM

localcpuguy said:
I'm not a beginner, so please explain to me what I would benefit from, or would it not even be worth doing? You can speak technical to me.

If you're using XP, you should get a significant boost from SLI with the size of your monitor. If you have Vista, you may have problems setting up SLI at all. The major boost will be frame rates and better graphics settings. Unfortunately, by the time DX10 games come out, if you have Vista, the 8800 series may not be able to handle them sufficiently, especially since Microsoft is already introducing DX10.1, which is supposed to be in the SP1 that's coming out. The 8800 cards are said to be unable to handle DX10.1, which would leave you with a lot of money spent and not that much real benefit. But again, if you are using XP and therefore limited to DX9, the SLI should work great for you, in my opinion.
August 13, 2007 4:39:47 PM

sailer said:
If you're using XP, you should get a significant boost from SLI with the size of your monitor. If you have Vista, you may have problems setting up SLI at all. The major boost will be frame rates and better graphics settings. Unfortunately, by the time DX10 games come out, if you have Vista, the 8800 series may not be able to handle them sufficiently, especially since Microsoft is already introducing DX10.1, which is supposed to be in the SP1 that's coming out. The 8800 cards are said to be unable to handle DX10.1, which would leave you with a lot of money spent and not that much real benefit. But again, if you are using XP and therefore limited to DX9, the SLI should work great for you, in my opinion.

The newest driver for Vista 163.11 has made it almost level to XP.
SLI enables with no problem.
I ran 3dMark06 on both XP and Vista and had 200 pt difference,XP on top.
For those of you curious, 3dMark06 score Vista=12067 XP=12230
August 13, 2007 5:17:19 PM

I don't have 163.11, so maybe that's part of my current problema with my 8800 GTS. I'm currently using 162.18. Looks like you're managing a pretty good score for Vista on 3DMark06, not much of a performance hit at all. The last release notes I got from Nvidia still indicated that SLI with Vista was a hit or miss thing, possibly related to the type of motherboard used, so I remain cautious on that. But, if the problem has been fixed, then well and good, in fact, great.
August 13, 2007 11:36:14 PM

its not hard to get new drivers, just go on nvidia's website
August 14, 2007 8:02:28 PM

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. My screen is 40" Samsung LCD TV. 6000:1 Contrast Ratio, and Native Res of 1920x1080 (1080p).

Would I be stupid to get a 2nd 8800GTX then? Should I wait to see for sure if DirectX 10.1 will be supported? Or just sell the 8800GTX when the time comes and SLI the latest (Assuming I can afford it!!!)
August 14, 2007 8:42:29 PM

I would recommend waiting until just after xmas. Its a lot of money to spend on something that may become obsolete when DX 10.1 comes out. If after xmas the games will still run well on a GTX buy another. Or for the same price you should be able to pick up one of the newest gpus.
August 14, 2007 8:46:06 PM

I don't think that getting a second 8800 GTX would be stupid. With that large a screen, you can really use SLI or Crossfire. DX10.1 is not yet released from M$ and even when it is, it will probably be a year or two before any games come out that fully use it. Even when DX10.1 games do come out, they will most likey be backwards compatable so that DX10 cards can play them. Besides, in a year or two, video cards will have advanced enough that whatever you buy now will be obsolete.

The only DX10.1 capable card I know of at the moment is the 2900 XT, but it doesn't match the performance of a 8800 GTX. Further, ATI will be releasing a new card in a few months so that the current 2900 XTs will be obsolete. If you had an old DX9 card, I might advise gettign the 2900 XT in a Crossfire setup, but since you have a 8800 GTX already, just get another and enjoy it. Don't worry about next year, that will happen and we don't know what things will be like then.
August 14, 2007 9:02:39 PM

You get a pretty decent room heater for when winter decides to come around... other than that basically what everyone else is saying. (Sorry I just couldn't resist. I wish I had the money for a quad-core and 8800GTX SLI)

-mcg
August 14, 2007 9:10:52 PM

to be honest, getting a second 8800 will benefit you for sure as even if it doesnt support direct x 10.1, the new games are all going to be compatible with direct x 9 for quite some time and so one would assume if you can scale it down to direct x 9 features you would also be able to scale it down to basic direct x 10 features too.
August 14, 2007 9:32:21 PM

I dont think its stupid to buy another one. To be honest with your rez and screen size just buy one and enjoy the benefits. If you got the money why not. Or you could end up waiting forever like me for something to come out that you like and can justify and in the meantime not play anything.

p.s Dont wait it sucks!
August 14, 2007 9:37:25 PM

Get a 2nd 8800GTX........then this winter, sell both of them, use that money, put in some new money and buy a 9800GTX, it's rumored to beat them in SLI. Cheaper overall, sucks less power, produces less heat, and no worries about SLI drivers, etc.

Can't go wrong there. Should be released at the end of the year, in time for Christmas season rush.
August 14, 2007 9:58:01 PM

Nabbing two g92's would be nice. I was going to originally say avoid SLI but since you actually have a really big monitor you pretty much need it. But since you've lasted with one 8800 GTX don't buy another just yet. Skyguy's idea is good but why waste money on a second one only to sell them both for g92's?...when the g92's come out the 8800 will drop in price...and yours will be used if you do indeed buy a 2nd one so you'll lose out about 2-300 dollars. If you can just hold off until the g92 comes out...then sell your card and buy 2 g92's if money is not an option. If you can't afford two g92's just nab a GTX now or wait till novermber/december time for the g92's to be released.
August 14, 2007 10:03:12 PM

Forget about what most people say about DX10.1, it wont even do hardly anything over DX10 and game makers wont limit the market with it.
August 15, 2007 12:50:03 AM

if you don't mind having a sucky computer for a few months you could sell the gtx now (then endure and try and get some work done for the next year) before the prices go down then buy a g92 monster when it comes out (but you would have 2 be a lot more patient than most ppl for that)
August 15, 2007 1:54:01 PM

Ya Kamrooz, that was my first thought: screw the 2nd card and save the money.......I was only assuming that the OP couldn't live with his framerates as they currently stood. Assuming he CAN though, then save the money and put it towards some new G92's ;) 
!