Help me out with an inexpensive, quiet computer...

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I'm looking to build a friend's new computer for mainly light weight stuff, though a VERY small amount of gaming and hopefully media (music, photos, digital video, maybe live TV) I'm trying to make it as inexpensive as I can, though he won't mind spending a little more to get something more future proof. Of course the machine doesn't have to break any speed records, and it most likely will not be for overclocking. I would also like it to be as quiet as I possibly can make it. Here's what I've got so far:

Antec Solo Case
Thermaltake TR2 RX W0146RU PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H Socket AM2 690G Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane Processor
A-DATA Value Series 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
LG Electronics Black LG Super Multi 18x SATA DVD Burner
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB HDD
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium
Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Most of you will probably wonder why I am not using a Core 2, well it seems to get the equivalent of one of the upper middle class X2's it is $100's more for not that much of a performance increase. I am also not so sure about what CPU cooler to use, I am having a hard time making a decision. What do you guys think, is this OK or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Mongoloid Pizza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
In my research for my new system I've learned that the Antec P180 and 182 are equally quiet and cool a bit better than the Solo. I think you can pick up a P180 for roughly the same price as the Solo. Also, the P180 allows you to fit longer video cards if you remove the upper drive cage. I'm pretty sure you have to take a hacksaw to the Solo to fit an 8800GTX in it.

I've read mixed things about Thermaltake's non-ToughPower PSUs. You may want to check out Seasonic/Corsair instead. They have a reputation as being very reliable and quiet.

I'll leave the rest to someone more knowledgeable.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I see what you are saying; if I were building this system myself I would probably go to that, however this computer has to fit in a space of a pretty small Dell, so the 180 is probably too large. Also I don't have to worry about anything close to an 8800GTX, this computer will mainly be used for the digital media and rare games. I will try and find another PSU, I was looking at the Seasonic s12 330 watt but I don't know if it will be enough for this system. I appreciate your input, though, so thank you for that.

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
If your going for the sonata, you might want to try the Sonata III its small, but should be very quiet.

330W should be enough, but I would go for 430W min.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
This is what I've got so far:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishLis tNumber=5441211&WishListTitle=List+2

I added the Centurion (I figure it will be quiet enough), the Scythe Mine heatsink (looked good on FrostyTech.com) and the NeoHE 430 (a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for, right?)

Like I said I do not think the computer will even have a graphics card; the onboard will probably be fine for everything listed in the first post. Thanks everyone!