Network Printer...

My desktop computer running window xp home edition has a Lexmark Z45 printer
connected through a USB port, I am connected to the internet through a
router connected to a cable modem, my laptop (window xp home edition) in the
living
room also connects through the router/cable modem... What I want to do is be
able
to print something from my laptop computer connected through a cat5 cable to
the
router which is tied to the desktop network card and to it's Lexmark Z45
printer.

I know this is supposed to be simple, but can some one explain what they
know about performing this feat?

RobertBodling@yahoo.com

Since you are already in the correct newsgroup, here's the quick answer....

Enable File and Print Sharing on the computer with the printer, then share
the printer.

On the laptop, browse to the other computer through My Network Places.
Right-click on the printer that will be visible and select Connect.

courtney

P.S. Note that if you cannot see the other computer in My Network Places,
you have another problem...repost.

"Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> Since you are already in the correct newsgroup, here's the quick
answer....

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply he was posting in the wrong news group. It was
just that I'd answered the duplicate post he made in windowsxp.general.

That's not a problem for me, I post duplicates in other newsgroups as well
cause I have attempted to post in one particular grouop and didn't get any
seem to have been visiting otherwise.

Thanks for both responses...

> "Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message
>> Since you are already in the correct newsgroup, here's the quick
> answer....
>
> Sorry. I didn't mean to imply he was posting in the wrong news group. It
> was
> just that I'd answered the duplicate post he made in windowsxp.general.

Thanks Courtney, I printed the message and will give it an attempt.

"Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> Since you are already in the correct newsgroup, here's the quick
> answer....
>
> Enable File and Print Sharing on the computer with the printer, then share
> the printer.
>
> On the laptop, browse to the other computer through My Network Places.
> Right-click on the printer that will be visible and select Connect.
>
> courtney
>
> P.S. Note that if you cannot see the other computer in My Network Places,
> you have another problem...repost.
>

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>> See reply on windowsxp.general

Courtney,

One other questiion here... (following info was previously posed on the
other newsgroup...)

I was reading the "Help" files on building a Home Network and found the
following information, any suggestions here since I am using an "Internet
Firewall"?

Neither of these methods provides firewall protection; and while Internet
Connection Firewall can be enabled on networked computers running Windows
XP, doing so prevents those computers from sharing files and devices such as
printers.

"Robert Bodling" <robertbodling@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was reading the "Help" files on building a Home Network and found the
> following information, any suggestions here since I am using an "Internet
> Firewall"?
>
> Neither of these methods provides firewall protection; and while Internet
> Connection Firewall can be enabled on networked computers running Windows
> XP, doing so prevents those computers from sharing files and devices such
as
> printers.

The firewall supplied with SP1 was called the "Internet Connection
Firewall."

The firewall supplied with SP2 is called the "Windows Firewall" and I
believe it supports shared printers and shared files. However I've not tried
it.

Understanding Windows Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

dl

Its not a problem for you but multiposting causes no end of confusion to
others.
Multipost instead - same method as sending email to multiple addresses

> That's not a problem for me, I post duplicates in other newsgroups as well
> cause I have attempted to post in one particular grouop and didn't get any
> seem to have been visiting otherwise.
>
> Thanks for both responses...
>
> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> >
> > "Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> >> Since you are already in the correct newsgroup, here's the quick
> > answer....
> >
> > Sorry. I didn't mean to imply he was posting in the wrong news group. It
> > was
> > just that I'd answered the duplicate post he made in windowsxp.general.

I have been working on Networking my desktop and laptop with success and now
my next task will be networking my wife's desktop runing windows 98 second
edition with my desktop running Windows XP Home Edition so I can access her
drive and my desktop and laptop drive from either system. Any special
information I should know before I start digging into win98's help files?

Everything seems to be working between the laptop and the desktop running
Win XP.
For the most part, I can work on files between both systems and print from
from either system, but I need to be able to access the files on my wife's
desktop (Win 98 S.E.) from either my Win XP desktop or the laptop.

I looked into Win98's help file last night and was able to access the files
on my (Win XP) desktop from hers, but how do I get available information
from her system on this end? I tried "My Network Places" and can see the
shared folders on the laptop and this desktop, but can ot see what is on her
system (System_3). Any suggestions?

Thanks, I have my systems setup so I can work on my laptop and print
something on my desktop's printer and access the desktop hard drive to copy,
move or delete files, but one problem I ran accross... when I am running
Microsoft Word on my laptop, I can print on my desktop's printer, but what
might be causing the printer spooler from not working when I try and print
something viewed in my browser on my laptop? It gives me the option to
select the printer which are connected to the laptop and when I ask it to
<Find> available printer on the network, I get this error... Shall I copy
the error message and re-post here?