pishmael

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Upgrading system with MB, processor, memory, profile:

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 MB
AMD 4600/x2 Processor
PNY Geforce 8600/256 Video PCIE 16x
PNY PC5400/1GB x 2 Memory

System posts fine, but screen goes blank as Windows begins to boot. System completes boot sequence (you can hear Windows chime) but no display. If I pull the PCIE card and drop a 12 year old PCI video card on the board, life is good. I've RMA'd the video card, but the new card (factory sealed) doesn't change the behavior. MB Bios have been flashed to the latest, video drivers are latest. I'm stumped. Can someone help?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Is this a new install of OS? Have you got correct video driver loaded? With 8600 fitted, have you tried loading in VGA mode? Safe mode? If this is your pre-upgrade installation you will need to try repair install, or better, a fresh install. Windows is NOT happy if you change all the hardware without telling it!

Mike.

pishmael

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
...my bad...started with a Ultra 350 watt, have swapped in a no-name 480 watt ps that supports 17A on the 12v rail...no change in behavior. This is not a new install of the OS. Display does not change with a boot to safe mode or VGA mode. Drivers were downloaded from the Nvidia site via PNY link.

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
17A? Ugh.... Well, I would say that you are shooting for something in the area of 24A or more. I know that according to my card's specs (7950GX2), it needs at least 24A to work correctly.

Skimping on the PSU is never a good idea.

pishmael

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, point taken. I've replaced the PS with a 550W Thermaltake PurePower...no change. Replaced memory with a 512MB Corsair XMS, no change. RMA'd motherboard, installed replacement...no change. Now what?

You didn't mention what graphics card you had before. What I would do first off is remove the new card and install your PCI VGA card. Boot into windows and ownload Driver Cleaner (Guru3D.com). Then go into Add/Remove programs and uninstall everything involving nVidia (usually just nVidia Drivers). You will be asked to reboot, do so and restart in Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner and run all the scripts for nVidia and ATI (if your previous card was an ATI card, or even if it wasn't). This will remove any left over traces of previous driver installs. Don't worry about running the ATI scripts if you've never had an ATI card, it won't do anything if it doesn't find the registry entry, directories and files the script is looking for. Once this is done, shut down you computer. Remove the PCI card, and re-install your new card. Hopefully this time you will be able to get into Windows (albiet in VGA compatibility mode), then install your new drivers. If on reboot you get the same behavior, and thus unable to install the drivers, it maybe time to consider backing up your data and doing a Windows install.

It seems you have attacked this problem extensively from a hardware perspective, it maybe worthwhile to try from a software point of view now. Especially since you have pretty much exhausted the hardware route.

Ahh I just notice that you said you have done an upgrade of MB, CPU, RAM. Did you do a windows re-install? If not that could be your entire problem. As most will tell you, you have to do a complete Windows re-install with a motherboard change. Some get lucky and can just install the new drivers, some so a Windows repair, but the most successful approach is to completely re-install Windows so no trace of the old install is left behind.

pishmael

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, you win. A complete Windows reinstall has solved my problems. Any guess on why the old PCI video card worked just fine? Thanks for your help!

Cybersnake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
pishmael,
i've exact the same problem with my new P35-DS3P. BUT my computer is completed new. I initially used PCIE card and i cannot even see the bios. Then i installed my old PCI card and installed everything. Then i switch back to PCIE and things get better. At least i can use windows now, BUT I still cannot enter bios. Once I see the Post screen and press DEL. It hangs with a blank screen and nothing happens... HELP !!

MY PS is new 2themax with 500W...

pishmael

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
If you have been using a USB keyboard, try a PS2 keyboard. I've had spotty experience using a USB keyboard in a pre-windows state.

lashep

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Hello. I am having the exact same problem as stated above. I've done everything you suggested except reformat. I have XP as my primary boot with a second harddrive with Ubuntu. I go into Ubuntu through the MB's boot menu.

The problem exists whether I boot into XP or Ubuntu. Also, there are times I'm unable to see the boot menu after post. I've done memtest without any issues and removed the soundcards and other drives. Naturally, the problem doesn't happen all of the time; just when I really need to get on.

Some questions:
-How can it be the video driver if it happens in XP and Ubuntu?
-How can it be the video card if I'm able to boot up 50-75% of the time?
-Is my system possessed by the Devil? I'm confident there are no Gremlins as I've blown the system out but am thinking it could be the Devil.
-What stock should I invest in?
-Oh yeah, could it be my x16 slot is bad?

AMD Athlon 64 X2
ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0801
4 GB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800]
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Mouse, Keyboard, & blue Mousepad OC'ed to 4Ghz