Sign in with
Your question

Best water cooled case ever?!

Last response: in Overclocking
September 11, 2007 10:32:08 PM

hey guys i wanna buy a watercooled case, i want the best cooling i can get...preferably with fans included in the case...i was looking at thermaltake's Tai Chi

im planning on overclocking my E6850 and im gonna need some very good cooling.

any advice for a certain case would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
:) 

More about : water cooled case

September 12, 2007 4:25:54 AM

My god thats one expensive case...

Other possible cases.... LianLi A10A, Antec P190/P182, SilverStone TJ10
Related resources
September 12, 2007 8:22:43 PM

yes it is expensive :ouch:  ...and thanks il check those out
September 12, 2007 8:32:01 PM

Another thing is that Thermaltake water cooling setups are not very good quality. Most run into problems with galvanic corrosion fairly quickly. A good water cooling rig from DangerDen or Swiftech are more powerful and less likely to have problems with corrosion.

I hope that helps you out.

-ouch1
September 13, 2007 3:12:50 PM

Ethyl Glycol*/Water (25%/75%) takes care of galvanic corrosion. You could run a liquid rig entirely off ethyl glycol if you wished... I do.

*a.k.a. antifreeze.
September 13, 2007 3:46:38 PM

Ethyl Glycvol does not get rid of galvanic corrosion. It merely slows it down. Hence the reason you need to change the coolant in your car approximately every 2 years. Even then you can have corrosion. There are corrosion inhibitors like Water wetter. But you still need to be careful, and keep an eye out for it.

The best bet get rid of galvanic corrosion is to build a loop in which all of the metal is the same (aka Copper). Hence 99% or Dangerden's stuff is high quality copper. Since if the metals all have the same properties the electric current that starts the corrosion will not be present. The reason for this is that the current is caused by electrolytes flowing accross one type of metal (aka aluminum) and then contacting another type of metal in the same loop (aka copper). This causes an electric current in the coolant and will slowly cause material from one metal to be carried over to the other (aka corrosion). Look it up on the Wikipedia and you will see what I mean.

-ouch1
September 13, 2007 5:11:57 PM

i use real shark urine in my water cooling kit and that seems to work the best. :) 
September 13, 2007 10:57:29 PM

can you reccomend a specific high quality case for either dangerden or siwfttech?
September 13, 2007 11:04:36 PM

Dangerden makes cases that are designed for water cooling in mind but they don't include the hardware. Same with Swiftech. If you want to water cool a system get a case with plenty of room like the Waterbox plus or the Tt mozart since they both have plenty of room. then buy a custom kit from a place like dangerden or Petrastechshop. That way you will get the maximum cooling for your money.

And considering that the Tai Chi on Newegg is going for $429 I think that a Dd waterbox plus with a custom cooling rig should be close in price but a much better cooling system.
-ouch1
September 13, 2007 11:15:49 PM

alright...so buying an air cooled case with water cooling in mind will actually be better than buying a water cooled case?
September 13, 2007 11:20:33 PM

If you can learn how to mod then you can make any case more suitable for your watercooling needs than any case you could buy...

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've modded my Coolermaster Stacker case over the last 4 years......
September 14, 2007 1:50:14 AM

ahh...hey just throwing this out there...what do u guys think about making a case out of a mini fridge?
September 14, 2007 2:29:57 PM

I'd imagine the risk of condensation might cause problems, not sure though. I'd imagine that if you had to open it up or remove any parts for any reason you run the risk of them getting condensation if it is really warm wherever you take them out. Maybe not if you don't jack up the fridge too high. I'm sure someone out there has done/tried it.
September 14, 2007 3:42:05 PM

Mini Fridges can't handle the heat put out by a computer. The compressor is designed to cool something down and maintain that temp on stuff that does not generate heat. If you were to put a pc inside a minifridge the heat generated by the pc would kill hte compressor of the minifridge fairly quickly (within 2 months) and then you system would over heat and fail. If you want to go sub-ambient with you temps look at Vapochill cases. They are darn pricey but they will take you cpu down to roughly -30C.

-ouch1
September 15, 2007 12:52:39 AM

haha i had considered all the things about the minifridge...condensation would be my biggest fear...i hadnt thought about the comressor wearing out..i only thought that it wouldnt give as good of cooling as if i had beer in it instead...

and about this vapochill...its vapour cooling?
and when u say -30C
u mean it takes -30c off everything?
or it bring everything down to -30C???
im guessing its the first one...
September 18, 2007 1:08:55 AM

thanks man
September 18, 2007 1:25:18 AM

do you know where i can find the extreme kit? or even a power kit for sale?
i cant find a place to order them anywhere
September 18, 2007 9:55:52 PM

oh thanks...coundlt find it very well
October 15, 2007 6:03:01 PM

if you want a good case (the best) is the cooler master stacker, its and easily modifiable. looks ace with WaCling
October 23, 2007 3:42:09 PM

Dobby,

That is your opinoin. Don't get me wrong thought the Coolermaster is a good case. But If I was looking for a water cooling case I would go with the WaterBox Plus by Dd. It is an incredible case for water cooling.

-ouch1
October 25, 2007 12:08:01 AM

Hey, any thoughts on Koolance water cooling systems? Was thinking that I would get one, or perhaps DD..

Thanks!
October 25, 2007 8:39:29 AM

make your own

improved shroud that replaced the back fan inside the case now that fan is in the shroud

October 25, 2007 4:25:21 PM

That thing again. Don't get me wrong its nice, but I bet that thing gets real dusty inside it. And it has a huge footprint. Plus you are running the old Tt Aquarius II water cooling system. If you went with a Dd rig you would have alot more room for overclocking.

-ouch1
October 25, 2007 6:14:40 PM

ouch1 said:
That thing again. Don't get me wrong its nice, but I bet that thing gets real dusty inside it. And it has a huge footprint. Plus you are running the old Tt Aquarius II water cooling system. If you went with a Dd rig you would have alot more room for overclocking.

-ouch1
yep still running cool and quiet and no dust at all last time I checked it was clean you see I have dustcovers and the back fan suck's everything out 1.5 years and have not even filled the water and no cleaning. running in the hot summer cpu 34, vga 45 running 24/7 oced to max
October 26, 2007 9:23:38 AM

ouch1 said:
Here check it out:
http://www2.asetek.com/default.asp?showPage=startside.asp&contentSection=2
They have standalone cases and vapochill coolers that you place on or near the case of your system.

-ouch1

jesus t!tty F@cking Chr!st! that is the first time I have ever seen a cooling system like this!! how could I have lived without knowing about this kind of cooling solution....

well I know what I'm picking up to go with my 5000+ black edition! 4GHz here I come :p 

sorry just kinda awe struck lol
October 26, 2007 12:11:40 PM

I do not know if you bought your case yet, but why not look at Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570? That is a great case, comes with 2 pre drilled holes with rubber grommets for running tubes in and out. It is also affordable.
April 29, 2009 7:08:37 PM

erbelair said:
Hey, any thoughts on Koolance water cooling systems? Was thinking that I would get one, or perhaps DD..

Thanks!

I personally love the Koolance cases, their pumps catch a little flack for not equaling the performance of danger den or switftech pumps, but for the style and complete case integration I think Koolance cases are some of the nicest looking cases available. No hoses running out the back, no radiators hanging of the side of the case.
However I have noticed that Koolance has stopped making their cases, but they were just lian li chasis' with the Koolance unit. You can make this yourself or there are a couple of ppl still selling these such as Unique PC Gear and Platypus PC it seems.
April 29, 2009 7:16:10 PM

Also I like the acrylic windows. I know its just a piece of plastic but with some of the Zalman and Antec and other cases you buy $2,000.00+ in shiny new components, (and the newer ones look great) and then you cant even see them when their hidden inside the case.
April 30, 2009 12:19:05 AM

Hello Dr Frankstein. aka synonymesis. I don't know if you noticed but this thread was almost 2 years old.

-ouch1
April 30, 2009 12:55:42 PM

ouch1 said:
Hello Dr Frankstein. aka synonymesis. I don't know if you noticed but this thread was almost 2 years old.

-ouch1

Well Captain Obvious, I dont believe that really matters, see I was interested in this topic and I stumbled across this thread, maybe someone else will and might find something in this thread useful. Guess it won't be your post.

-synonymesis
April 30, 2009 6:10:41 PM

I am sorry you did not notice but since it is almost 2 years old alot of the links will not work any more. Also since it is so old I believe most of the info is seriously out of date.

-ouch1
!