Help with new MB, please

computator

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Hi, I am looking to build a new computer and I need a good MSI motherboard for my new tower. The reason I say MSI is because my local dealer only stocks MSI Motherboards. I am going to put an Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor, and an Nvidia 640MB 8800 GTS graphics card in it. The computer is going to run on Wi I need a good motherboard to go along with it that also has enough PCI-e x16 slots incase I ever choose to go SLi in the future. Any suggestions?

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Having multiple PCI-e slots doesn't mean you will have SLI. That's the big N for you.
Or you can use hacked drivers... But those are never up to date...

Why not use newegg or some other e-tailer to buy your mobo? I really don't like MSI. There cheap and you get what you pay for. I'm more of an Asus or Giga guy. Only had 2 MSI's and they both ended up dying on me.

OH DUUUH. Sorry. I'm retarded. You asked for a mobo suggestion and I didn't really give you one.
If I HAD to go with MSI, I would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130097
No SLI but you get a solid mobo without the hassle of dealing with nForce.

If you really want SLI get this one:

MSI P6N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI , $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130080

It's expensive, but it has X-Fi onboard audio and supports two nVidia cards at 16x each.

That being said, you would do better with TehLexinator's suggestion i.e. a P35 motherboard, and a single 8800 GTX, and it would cost about the same as the P6N+GTS 640. With P35+GTX you lose the SLI option but still get great onboard audio and your video card will be much better and you avoid all sorts of driver problems.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I used to be an MSI fanboi till the 2 boards i had died in a heap.

I now use ASUS. Gigabtye are also good, and if im not wrong both of these guyz actually work together somewhat now

Id also go with the P35 and single GPU solution, 680i's are expensive add another gpu to this for not that much performance gain unless you are running high res high anti alias.

You should really buy the board online (more choice and probably cheaper) you can get what you want instead of settling...

As for choice : MSI i would go with P35 Platnum OR P35 Neo2. ASUS P5K series