socialstealth

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I'd like to speed up my computer, particularly the internet.

I just recently upgraded from 1gb to 3gb of ram. I changed the page filing from 'let windows choose' to NONE. However, I haven't noticed much of an improvement. my computer is only using about 550-650mb of ram.

I notice hiccups when loading web pages, especially when I have more than 1 tab open.

I have a 7200 rpm 250gb hdd, 50% full. 3.2ghz pentium 4.

The new ram I got is 800 mhz, I'm not sure how fast the old ram the computer had. Should I take out the old ram? (x2 512mb)
Or should I switch the positions? Is there any way to make the computer use the faster ram? is about 500mb of ram usage normal?

Any ideas on how to get rid of these hiccups, or why its hiccuping?

Don't run without a page file - this won't speed anything up, but may cause problems. Some programs expect to find a page file. If you don't like a dynamic size then make it a fixed size, but it won't make a lot of difference to performance in your case.

socialstealth

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
OH crap. My understand of it was, page filing is using your hdd as ram. And obviously ram is faster than using your hdd as ram.
I read an article somewhere that said if you had 'enough' ram (3+ gb) you would see an improvement my limiting your page filing, or getting rid of it all together. Thoughts on this?

You have been misinformed. The page file is only used when it is needed - and if it's needed but isn't there, that's a recipe for trouble. The only downside of a page file is that it uses some disk space. With the size of disk drives nowadays who cares about a GB or so?

You may have misunderstood what you read - having a dynamically sized page file, as opposed to a fixed size one, can have a very small impact on performance at times. Having no page file can lead to poor performance and system crashes.