Buddy, can you spare a plastic CPU protector?

jeromewilson

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
This recent hot weather has really brought home the fact that my PC really isn't as cool as it should be. It's an X6800 and was happily overclocked to 3.4 until recently but the ambient temp (and possibly the need to re-apply the thermal layer) has been giving it real troubles.

So, I've just ordered a 'Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme' (which is, obviously, both ultra and extreme, woohoo), a fan and some AS céramique.

Anyway, I thought I'd go the whole hog and do a bit of lapping on the heatsink and CPU but I've managed to mislay the plastic cover that came with the CPU (X6800).

Soooooooooo, I was wondering if anyone might have just such a Core 2 plastic cover lying around gathering dust that they'd like to send me? Will pay top bucks! (well, a couple of quid + half a packet of Cheese & Onion + P&P)

Alternatively, maybe someone's going to say 'hell, you don't need one of those - just go to it!', or maybe 'a yoghurt pot and some sticky-back plastic can make a great CPU protector'. Or something.

Thanks!

Jerome

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i am confused - keep the cpu in the mobo why do u need the plastic cover?

lapping is dumb if u ask me - although the ultra 120 could use a massive lap jop they i never seen one even close to level

skip the cpu lap and use artic silver the ceramic is for gpu ram chips that might pick up e-m from the metal paste

jeromewilson

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I was going to pop the cover on the CPU while I was lapping it to keep crap off.

As far as I can tell Ceramique if fine for use with CPUs and gives slightly better results than its older brother.

e.g. http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/carbon_black/2.shtml

Mike @ http://www.candccentral.co.uk/ very kindly offered to send a spare CPU cap with my order. Really nice guy, really fast shipping. If you're in the UK definitely check them out - they deserve your business :)