Where the heck is my RAID array?

Ok, I managed to set up my new Raid 5 on the adaptec 3085 card with 3X 750GB WD drives... the storage manager says everything is good to go and I did the verify with fix thing too but I have no clue where I'm actually supposed to be able to access the array/logical device because it's not in my computer or anywhere else I think it might be, and no matter what terms I use to search, nobody seems to have this problem... so I'm guessing it's really obvious and I'm just being dumb about it...

Any tips?

Vista by the way
3 answers Last reply
More about where heck raid array
  1. So you have correctly setup the RAID5 array and the software from Adaptec reports the 3 drives as being in the single RAID5 array with a 1.5TB capacity, correct?

Did you format the array? Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
  2. See? It was just that simple lol

Thank you.

Strangely though, the size dropped to 1.36 TB... ?
  3. Whenever you format a drive you lose a percentage of the total storage. Its because of the difference between "normal" and binary numbers. HD manufacturers use 1,000,000,000 bytes to define a gigabyte, but formatted drives use the 1 GiB standard... if you really want to know you can wiki or google it. Anyhow thats where the discrepancy comes from.

-mcg
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Western Digital Storage