Sign in with
Your question

RAID + Partitions

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2007 10:05:20 PM

Is the following configuration possible? I have two 320GB SATA drives connected to a nVidia 590 SLI motherboard. (Asus Crosshair)

I want to use just a portion of each drive in a RAID 1 array and leave the remaining portion for OS or storage.

More about : raid partitions

October 22, 2007 10:25:36 PM

WHY??? What isd the RAID arraay for?

Mike.
October 23, 2007 9:17:06 PM

I want to have just a portion of each drive to be redundant so I can put stuff there that I do not want to lose in the case of a hard drive failure. However, I do not want to put my entire drive into RAID 1 because I don't want to lose that much space.
Related resources
October 24, 2007 6:25:04 AM

Yes you can although this would be easier configured through the OS. Plug both in, create a partition (desired size) in vista setup and install. when booted use disk management and create a partition (desired size) on the 2nd disk. Then with the remaining unparitioned space on both drives in disk management you can select this final partition to be RAID-1 across the 2 disks. Im not sure of EXACT procedure to create the RAID-1 (i cant step you through it) but it can be done.
a b G Storage
October 24, 2007 8:13:18 AM

Can be done with Intels Matrix RAID, but I haven't heard of any other motherboard RAID controllers being able to do this. The best advice I can give you is to get an external harddrive, and back up anything important to it. No "wasted" space, and because its not attached to the computer, safer to. Just plug it in whenever you need to back something up, and your good. (I've been saying this for years, RAID1 is NOT a backup solution!)
October 25, 2007 4:50:37 AM

4745454b said:
Can be done with Intels Matrix RAID, but I haven't heard of any other motherboard RAID controllers being able to do this. The best advice I can give you is to get an external harddrive, and back up anything important to it. No "wasted" space, and because its not attached to the computer, safer to. Just plug it in whenever you need to back something up, and your good. (I've been saying this for years, RAID1 is NOT a backup solution!)

Your right its not a backup solution but it is safer than a single drive is. I have had a RAID-1 save my data a couple of times now and thankful for it...
I never thought of the external drive idea to solve this problem, i was involved in the problem at hand. But its a goodie ;) 
!