• Laptops
  • Desktop Icons
  • Icons
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
Anonymous
November 11, 2010 7:40:43 AM

Hi everyone,

Well, I been having problems with my laptop the past 3 days or so.
My desktop icons disappear every time I turn on my computer or log off.

I use Windows Vista. Well everytime I start my laptop all of the icons on the main desktop page dissapear. I always have to go to the "Show Desktop Icons" untick it and tick the mark again for icons to re-appear. I've ran antivirus scans over and over and says everything is normal.

How can I make it like it was before to show the icons without me having to go to Show Desktop Icons over and over? Please help :( 
Thank you.

More about : desktop icons disappear

November 12, 2010 8:40:04 PM

Give these possible solutions a try!

1. Right-click on your Desktop and highlight Arrange Icons By (XP) or View (Vista). In the menu that pops up, Show Desktop Icons probably won’t have a check mark next to it because hopefully, it somehow got checked off. So click on Show Desktop Icons. It takes several seconds for Windows to reset the Desktop.

2. If Show Desktop Icons was already checked, then something else is wrong. It’s unlikely that you accidentally deleted all your icons or dragged them off the Desktop, but try this: Right-click the Desktop, highlight Arrange Icons By and click on Name to see if they show up again.

3. If that doesn’t work, restart your computer.

4. If that doesn’t work, you may have to do a System Restore to go back to a previous day when everything was working normally.

Also, take a look at this site for another possible solution:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/desktop-i...

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
October 31, 2012 6:19:48 AM

hi frnds i had this same problem of xp taking so long to show desktop screen after boot up .... i followed some advise of cleaning junk files , temp folder ,registry cleaner ..Nothing worked .... i deleted some registry folder in software folder in REGISTRY LIST which were'nt necessary for me .... I DELETED ADOBE FOLDER , SAMSUNG KIES FOLDER AND I RESTARTED PC AND IT BOOT UP IN 2 SEC .... THIS IS A REAL SOLUTION TRY ....
I HAVE THIS SOLUTION ITS VERY EASY BELIEVE ME ..JUST REMEMBER WHICH SOFTWARES OR HARDWARE U INSTALLED RECENTLY JUST DELETE THAT FOLDER FROM REGISTRY FOLDER ....REGISTRY CONTAINS IN ONLY SOFTWARES FOLDER AND THERE ARE 3 OR 4 FOLDERS OF SOFTWARE IN REGISTRY DELETE THEM ALL BY RIGHT CLICK (DELETE) AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.......

STEPS

1) Start , Run , regedit.exe

2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER , OPEN +SOFTWARE , DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,
DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

4)HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,
DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

AND RESTART YOUR PC .......
PROBLEM SOLVE NOW C YOUR SPEED WILL BE DOUBLE OF BOOTING

DONE THANKS

REGARDS
Punit_pandya@ymail.com